Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been informed that from the rear I do lack significant lighting to warn other motorists of braking. Has anyone added extra lighting with brake, running light, signals or a combination thereof ? I question some that may not be weather worthy especially UV and water damage to LEDs. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think that the AT has quite good rear lighting
I have seen far worse on other motorcycles.

Off course if you are loading it up and going touring, it is important to make sure the rear light is freely seen.
Only in the most extreme "loading up" of situations could I imagine more lighting is needed.

Otherwise its a solution looking for a problem
So many accessories fall into that category

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kisan Tailblazer works well for me. Cycles the brake light down to constant on. The nice thing is if some one is coming up fast and you are already stopped you can release the brake and it will cycle again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running a Vizi-Tec Brake light modulator, I have run the same unit on all my bikes. Its fully programable and if you buy a unit from them and sell the bike the will set it up for your new bike (if different) for $20.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went with ultrabrightlightz.com Feniex T3 surface mounts and their tag mounting bracket. These lights are extremely bright and you can choose from several flash patterns. The lights can be synced or create your own unique flash pattern by wiring each light independent of the other. The lights are housed in aluminum, waterproof and heavy duty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just added the Skene P3 programmable lights with eastern beaver connectors on the turn signal/rear brake connections under the rear seat. Works great and definitely adds some more visibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the same concern. I'm adding dual Denali B6 flush brake lights to my Givi top box. Wiring to a quick disconnect adjacent to pillion seat.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
712 Posts
I have been informed that from the rear I do lack significant lighting to warn other motorists of braking. Has anyone added extra lighting with brake, running light, signals or a combination thereof ? I question some that may not be weather worthy especially UV and water damage to LEDs. Thank you in advance.
Take a look at this thread #9:

W2

·
Registered
639 Posts
For those of us in Canada the brake light must be steady and cannot flash. After seeing the brake lights in action on ATs in the U.K. I would have to say our loss.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
For those of us in Canada the brake light must be steady and cannot flash. After seeing the brake lights in action on ATs in the U.K. I would have to say our loss.
I am sure Japan would like to include the feature. It would simplify their Bill of Material. I reckon they don't wish to wait around while North American regions waffle (if even that) to certify the feature as proactive and useful.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Admore is a Canadian company selling in Canada and worldwide. Their Auxiliary brake lights / turn signal unit flashes the brake light. Where do you get your 'cannot flash in Canada' information? False statement.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Admore is a Canadian company selling in Canada and worldwide. Their Auxiliary brake lights / turn signal unit flashes the brake light. Where do you get your 'cannot flash in Canada' information? False statement.
I reckon BJ meant the feature is not North American OEM standard on the AT, and is likely not legal to do so (varies with local region).

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
712 Posts
California has a weird rear-light flashing requirement, or used to anyway. Your tail lights could not flash more than 4 times under braking before going steady. Now, I have never heard of anyone getting a fix-it ticket for full-time brake flashers. When we lived in CA I was judicious when I added aux braking lights to the Feejer. I went with lights that flash 4 times then go steady to make sure I was compliant. Why tease the tiger...right?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Transport Canada and recall announcements. A number of bikes delivered to Canada with flashing brake lights installed were recalled to have the brake module reprogrammed or replaced to conform to Canadian standards. Just because a Canadian company makes something and sells the product here doesn’t mean it is legal for use on the street in Canada. It appears to be a great safety feature and is compulsory in the U.K. as well as parts or all of the EU on new motorcycles. Transport Canada like many parts of our government are not noted for moving quickly on an issue unless the issue is an embarrassment to them so don’t expect it to be approved here any time soon. In the meantime you may be able to use it until the wrong person spots it. If that person happens to a police or transportation officer be prepared for a fine or court case.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Transport Canada and recall announcements. A number of bikes delivered to Canada with flashing brake lights installed were recalled to have the brake module reprogrammed or replaced to conform to Canadian standards. Just because a Canadian company makes something and sells the product here doesn’t mean it is legal for use on the street in Canada. It appears to be a great safety feature and is compulsory in the U.K. as well as parts or all of the EU on new motorcycles. Transport Canada like many parts of our government are not noted for moving quickly on an issue unless the issue is an embarrassment to them so don’t expect it to be approved here any time soon. In the meantime you may be able to use it until the wrong person spots it. If that person happens to a police or transportation officer be prepared for a fine or court case.
Vancouver motorcycle police have the addmore or similar lights, that flash when braking, on their bikes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The police may have a way around the standards that is not available to the general public. Perhaps it is lumped in with the police light package. I know Transport Canada ordered a compulsory recall earlier this year on several bikes from Triumph and/or BMW. If the Vancouver police have a legal way around the Transport Canada standards that is available to the general public that would be great. It is a feature I would consider for my bike. Until then I’ll stick with a solid brake light.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
For emergency responders, something like that makes sense. The intent is to get maximum attention to those well beyond the immediate vehicle area.

I wouldn't mind regional governments approving the flashing rear taillight. However, I suppose they have bigger issues to deal with for the time being.

·
Registered
639 Posts
For emergency responders, something like that makes sense. The intent is to get maximum attention to those well beyond the immediate vehicle area.

I wouldn't mind regional governments approving the flashing rear taillight. However, I suppose they have bigger issues to deal with for the time being.
The provinces may not be able to approve it. Federal standards override provincial. Ontario had its fingers rapped once over the boaters’ card since they playing in Transport Canada’s yard without permission. Ontario May still have their knickers in a knot over that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts