Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had my AT now for nearly a year now, and find that even after 40 miles i get backache between my shoulders and back, so i decided to move the bars forward by 5mm and whilst it seems to have made the steering a little sharper which i like the back pain is still there. Im 6ft 2" so do you think the next thing would be to perhaps fit bar risers? If so what size? Or should i try something else? Anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
797 Posts
My back gets a tad sore at times, usually on longer journeys. But then, I'm old and creaky anyway and besides, when the dreaded numb bum sets in, it takes my mind off my back. My Fazer 1000 was the worst for giving me a sore back, and that came down to the angle of the handlebars. I changed the oe one to a Renthal 'bar which cured that problem. Unfortunately, it's buy to try a fix.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well had my AT now for nearly a year now, and find that even after 40 miles i get backache between my shoulders and back, so i decided to move the bars forward by 5mm and whilst it seems to have made the steering a little sharper which i like the back pain is still there. Im 6ft 2" so do you think the next thing would be to perhaps fit bar risers? If so what size? Or should i try something else? Anyone else experienced this problem?
One of the best ways to manage back pain caused by riding is to exercise and strengthen abdominal, shoulder, back and arm muscles. Search YouTube for exercises and you'll probably find a regime that fits your needs.

As you suggest, changing the bike's ergonomics is another good way. Check out: www.cycle-ergo.com, a site with a massive database of specific motorcycle model ergonomic specifications that lets you enter your height and inseam, then displays a stick figure representing you as if sitting or standing on the bike(s) you chose. It calculates your back angle, knee angle, forward lean angle, and seat height on a particular motorcycle you select. If you have owned or ridden a bike that you could ride without back pain, select that model to use as your own "standard" and the Africa Twin as the model you would change to approximate the riding position of that standard. Use cycle-ergo's "Vehicle Customization" feature to see what will happen if you raise/lower the handlebars, move them back or forward, change the seat height, and/or foot pegs in either direction. It's not perfect, but better than pure trial and error - and a lot less costly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed on my ride home from the dealer that the bars were pulling me forward and down a little more than I liked, and I definitely felt it in my back. I immediately bought these Tusk Bar risers, the 30mm 1 and 1/8th option, and felt that it put the bars in a much nicer spot for me. For $20 bucks, its worth a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts