Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While decelerating I get backfire and popping. The bike is 1 week old with about 600 miles. The dealing
disconnected the battery to reboot the ECU and the problem got slightly worse. The dealing suggested checking the flame
arrester screens on the muffler baffles. While trying to remove the baffles, the 2 ss bolts that I started to loosen galled
very badly so I abandoned the operation. Has anyone had this problem yet? Sure would like to access baffles as this is an owner
maintenance issue.
HELP. Thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
While decelerating I get backfire and popping. The bike is 1 week old with about 600 miles. The dealing
disconnected the battery to reboot the ECU and the problem got slightly worse. The dealing suggested checking the flame
arrester screens on the muffler baffles. While trying to remove the baffles, the 2 ss bolts that I started to loosen galled
very badly so I abandoned the operation. Has anyone had this problem yet? Sure would like to access baffles as this is an owner
maintenance issue.
HELP. Thank you
I get the popping on decel, has always been that way. It's one of my favorite things about the bike. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
maintenance issue.
HELP. Thank you
It is normal, no need to worry.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Exhaust popping is common.

Once galled, all you can do is try to remove the screws and re-tap the threads. Vice grips might twist off the tops or might get the screw out. Don't know if the threads are RIv-nut type or direct tapped in the metal.

Worst case is you spin the ROV-nut if there is one. Maybe easier to drill out - start small and increase to root thread diameter before re-tap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Popping on deceleration is a sign of a lean mixture a common symptom of manufacturers chasing a ridiculous emission standard. Nothing to worry about but if you start adding oiled foam air filters and aftermarket exhausts you'll definitely be getting close to a dangerously lean mixture. Leave it stock or budget for a remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nemesis

·
Registered
415 Posts
maintenance issue.
HELP. Thank you
I have just installed a Black Widow pipe and the first thing I noticed after installing is that the popping on de-acceleration has gone using stock muffler

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts

maintenance issue.

HELP. Thank you

IMO, backfire through the exhaust system is caused by a small air leak somewhere in the exhaust system. The un burned gasses that come from deceleration pass by the air leak at high temperatures. The fresh air ignites the gas laden exhaust, causing a minor explosion, hence the backfire. This is true on all engines, not just motorcycles.

I'd suggest u inspect your entire system for leaks. I have a 2017 AT and it has never back fired. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts