Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting to do general maintenance cleaning the baffle screens. All three of the bolts holding the top baffle on were apparently over tightened on assembly. I only managed to get one out without breaking the head off. The broken bolts seem to be fussed to the threads. I've attempted multiple methods for removing the bolts with no success. I have drilled out the bolts exposing the threads on one, and still cant pick out the remaining bolt. I want to tap the original threads to clean them out. Anyone know the exact size tap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I brought a bolt to a local fastener store, and got the size tap I needed. The bolt fits a little loose, but it will work. I consulted with a couple Honda service techs, and found out this can happen on just about any motorcycle. Apparently the bolts can meld in place from the heat, and they have to drill and re-tap these often - good to know! A tip - spray a penetrating lubricant on these bolts and let it sit overnight (min). If they are melded together from heat, it still might not work, but that can help with other issues like rust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts