Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am buying a barkbusters handguard and I noticed that some sets don’t include the bar end weight. when you installI barkbusters you have to remove the honda bar end weight. I asked the manufacturer and I was told that if vibration increases then i should buy the bar end weight. If the vibration doesn’t increase I could do without bar end weight. it sounds strange. If we can do without it why Honda use it? If it is needed why aren’t they part of the set sold?
or does the extra weight of the metal handguard compensate for the lack of oem bar end weight?
any ideas?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would definitely want to keep weights on. Can you link the barkbuster kit you got? Is it a universal fit? My kit (africa twin specific) came with weights. I removed the oem ones and the new ones went on with the install.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I didn't know there was an handguard set which has not the bar end weight. The only set compatible with our Africa Twin (2016-19), as per the producer's website, is the BHG-062, which has the weight.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi, I am buying a barkbusters handguard and I noticed that some sets don’t include the bar end weight. when you installI barkbusters you have to remove the honda bar end weight. I asked the manufacturer and I was told that if vibration increases then i should buy the bar end weight. If the vibration doesn’t increase I could do without bar end weight. it sounds strange. If we can do without it why Honda use it? If it is needed why aren’t they part of the set sold?
or does the extra weight of the metal handguard compensate for the lack of oem bar end weight?
any ideas?
You leave the bar end weight inside the bars, you only remove the Honda outer plug to install the threaded plug.
Buy the AT specific Barkbusters
read the instructions https://barkbusters.net/wp-content/uploads/INS-BHG-062-03-NP.pdf
Take note of the throttle side shim washers - increase as necessary to ensure you have free throttle movement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You leave the bar end weight inside the bars, you only remove the Honda outer plug to install the threaded plug.
Buy the AT specific Barkbusters
read the instructions https://barkbusters.net/wp-content/uploads/INS-BHG-062-03-NP.pdf
Take note of the throttle side shim washers - increase as necessary to ensure you have free throttle movement.
thanks a lot. So it seems that what i leave out is not the bar end waight just a plug. Additionally there is extra weigt you csn buy. However it is strange that some kits include it some don’t.

·
Registered
725 Posts
No need to buy the extra teardrop bar- end weight shown on some kits.
but the AT specified kit. Install. Ride. Drop your bike and be happy - the stock Honda guards twist, snap off and result in bent or broken levers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts