Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just watched a Kaoko video about how to fit their throttle stabiliser and it makes it clear that you have to reconnect the clip on the end of the springy thing that's inside the handlebar. Does anyone know what this internal thing does? I never reconnected it on my last bike, and on my brand new bike when I took the bar end off I'm sure it wasn't connected. I can see it down the tube but it will take some fishing out if it's important.
Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
i tried to reconnect them as well, but I think i pulled the spring thingy too much and prolly messed it up.

I'm also wondering what these are as well and what's their purpose.

Cheers!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Should be a weight down in there if you're talking about what I think you are.

When I did my handlebar protection, I had to remove these too and that "springy" clip fastens to the bar weight inside the handlebar grips.

If you can fish it out (with needle-nose pliers or something) and reconnect it to the clip, probably best. But then again, it likely doesn't hurt much if it's loose in there, not a lot of room for it to move around.

But me... I'm too anal to not have it well secured to the clip. I used some pliers and pressed that clip in some so it would hold tighter to the bar weight.

Hope we're talking about the same thing, Gary

Reactions: gvmumbral

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah we are Gary. I tried fishing it out with some needle nose pliers but it wouldn’t budge. I’m going to have to make up a tool with some cut down fishhooks or maybe two crochet hooks. As I said earlier I’m fairly sure this right side one was not connected when I took the right side bolt out (ie it had been like that from the factory)
Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think the inside weight has some o rings on it so it won’t move easily. The first time pulling the bar end bolt out it can easily come out of the clip hence why it might seem it wasn’t attached from the factory.
First time I did it I was more worried about the force I had to use to break through the load of locktite they had put on the threads!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Kaoko are sending me a modified bit for the throttle stabiliser. When that comes I will have a go at reconnecting the weight on a spring. If there’s some O rings down there maybe I will squirt some silicone lubricant in first. I still don’t understand why some weights to stop harmonics need springs clips and o rings. The handlebars work fine with all this stuff disconnected
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts