Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a daft question (from a newbie) how would I know if fitting bar risers would make my 2019 AT more comfortable/enjoyable? The bars feel okay as they are but I don't have that much experience (have only had two other bikes; a Deauville and a GS1200). Maybe the bars are just okay, but perhaps fitting risers would make them much better. Any advice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How tall are you? Do you do a lot of standing while riding? Do the bars feel to low when standing? I'm 6'5 and the bars on my 2018 ATAS were to low when standing so I installed some 2' Rox risers. The bars are much better for standing but high when I'm sitting. It's a personal comfort thing I reckon. But the Rox Risers are more adjustable than standard block risers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to fit my 2" risers today. Felt good sitting on bike but no good, I have MRA screen which is wider than stock and Barkbusters. The barckbusters are hitting the screen on the lock. Moved the bars back but was defeating the purpose of the risers. Shame the bars felt good that bit higher. So going up for sale now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Mr Bones Many thanks. I'm 5.11, don't stand up much but bars feel fine when I do. Maybe I'll do some kind of mock-up with plastic pipe or something that's easily moved, just to see how it feels when sitting.

@Chaz I hope you find a solution

·
Registered
797 Posts
I’m 5’ 11” and found the 18/19 AT’s bar height much better than my ‘16 and ended up buying SW Motech 30mm risers which bring them up to the same height as the later models. I find it kinda weird that you feel the need to go even higher....o_O

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @Davy F

I don't feel the need to go higher or indeed to make any change. I just wondered if - unknown to me and maybe others - the bars feel Okay, who's to say that they might feel superb at half an inch, or whatever higher? With your 2016, were you happy with the bars? Maybe it was only when you sat on the bikes with the higher bars you realised that they were perfect? If you had never sat on the 18/19, would you still be riding without the 30mm risers? If so, your case is the best example I could want of the point I'm trying to make.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is such a personal thing.
Each person feels different standing on the pegs when offroad, and everyone has a slightly different riding style offroad
Remember that rising bars is equaly as important as tilting the bars. Tilting back and forward also changes their height slightly.
The only real way is to get some hours on the pegs offroad and see where your comfort is.

If you plan to ride the AT basically on road and the most rough you will do is some dirt roads that normal cars can handle. then you may be wasting your money on bar risers.
They are really for the standing position IMHO

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
No doubt. Tilting the bars and adjusting the angle of the levers can maybe solve issues with standing position to where risers are not needed. It is worth doing some experimenting prior to adding something else and see if the risers are in fact useful or not.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just rest your knuckles against the handlebars, it will give you a pretty good idea of it it feels better or worse. I'm 6'1 long arms and legs and the risers made a huge difference, both when sitting and when standing on the pegs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fitted 30mm ones to my AT prior to a long trip last year, I couldn't believe the difference. At autobahn speeds of 90mph there was no differencein wind protection ( I have the higher Honda screen ) but comfort was much improved, no sore back or shoulders. Mine were a cheap set of 3 from Ebay which meant height could be adjusted between 10 - 40mm

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts
Adjustable risers are useful if one who does not know what they may need. (y)

CliveW: An image example for the Forum readers?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Need some advice here.
I found myself riding with the arms stretched. When I realise that I relax a bit. But i think that a bit (one or two fingers) closer to me, would be perfect. I'm 1,90 cm and use my ATAS seat at the highest position. I have the fork/wind protector, don't know if the bar closer to me would be touching on something.
Any advice?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have 2" Rox risers that are rotated back about 45 degrees. Doesn't touch anywhere. More comfortable on the street; I don't do off-road.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I am 5ft 9in and ride a 2019 ATAS. Although the bike was comfortable it became much better (for me) after I installed the Camel ADV risers. The bars are just a little higher and closer to me allowing more flexibility regarding reach sitting and standing. Less fatigue in my shoulders/upper back means a more enjoyable amd longer ride. I also played with rotating the bars a little... Great upgrade for me!

The Camel product looks good on the bike too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts