Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 AT has always had a tendency to shake the bars - both when loaded and light (especially over brows)

The PO told me he fitted tapered head bearings, I've tried new tires and I've tried re-balancing the wheel several times. I even converted to tubeless in an attempt to lighten the rotating mass.... nothing works.

I've raised the front and checked for looseness at the head bearing but it seems fine.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't forget the AT is rockin a 21" front wheel. If you're on knobbies like me you will invariably get some handle bar vibration. That's the trade-off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with Disco. While I haven’t taken all the steps you have, I chalked it up to the size of the tire. I had a KLR which has the same 21” wheel and it had the same issue.

Sounds like you’ve covered all the options and I am not sure what else you can do. I will follow this as I am curious if the is a solution.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running Conti trail attack 2's so very much NOT knobbly tires (and they're brand new so no cupping)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Several companies make flexible handlebars for dirt bikes to absorb vibrations, though not sure about the AT
You're right. Now that you mention that I do recall reading an article recently about a company that kitted out an AT. I noted they installed Fasst Flexx bars. Looks pretty interesting. Never tried them though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A few things I would check besides what you have already done (i.e. balance, head bearings) would be to check the wheel to see if its true and not bent, check spokes, check alignment of front wheel/forks, wheel bearings, check handlebar bolts and try increasing preload in the rear. A lot of front end issues are caused by something out back so don't forget to have a good look around the bike.

Also, I just recently fixed a front wheel hop on my MB5. I tried balancing and it didn't help at all. I put the tire on the balance stand and rotated just looking at the tire itself and I could see it wasn't even. Turned out the tire wasn't seated correctly/evenly on the rim so it was a bit off center causing it to go up and down while riding. Lubed it up good and then reinflated/reseated and all is good now, hop is gone. Doubt its your issue but thought I'd mention it as sometimes its something we easily overlook.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Off topic, but could you post a few pics of your MB5? Looks like a cool little machine. Do you use it as a pit bike or something? Just curious. Thanks!
I use it as a regular bike, but just for around town. Not very fast but it's an absolute blast to ride around on, very fun bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
A few things I would check besides what you have already done (i.e. balance, head bearings) would be to check the wheel to see if its true and not bent, check spokes, check alignment of front wheel/forks, wheel bearings, check handlebar bolts and try increasing preload in the rear. A lot of front end issues are caused by something out back so don't forget to have a good look around the bike.

Also, I just recently fixed a front wheel hop on my MB5. I tried balancing and it didn't help at all. I put the tire on the balance stand and rotated just looking at the tire itself and I could see it wasn't even. Turned out the tire wasn't seated correctly/evenly on the rim so it was a bit off center causing it to go up and down while riding. Lubed it up good and then reinflated/reseated and all is good now, hop is gone. Doubt its your issue but thought I'd mention it as sometimes its something we easily overlook.
Thanks for that. I had a bounce too and checked everything except for how the tire is seated. Will try that

·
Registered
133 Posts
My bars wobble at around 85-105mph, it use to do it with the 21-18" wheel combo on with OE tyres and still does with 19-17" wheels with Conti TA 2's on, never develops into a tank slapper or feels like it's heading that way, I do feel the forks flex a fair bit when you're pushing the front end. I looked around for various causes and found nothing significant so I just live with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Definitely set the sag - also check your tire pressures. You said the front end is tight - but it doesn't mean he didn't put it back together a bit crooked. When you are on the flat and straight - are your bars straight? With the bike on a stand (or someone holding it) - line up both wheels and then look at the bars again. Check the rest of the settings on your forks. With the front end supported loosen the axle and the triple clamps. Then jiggle everything and get it all to set straight. It's easy to tweak the forks a little when putting the front end back on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts