Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trial fitted some Barkbuster Blizzard handguards today as last winter I found the front of my fingers freezing while the insides were toasty with heated grips. They are universal fitting in nature so it took me some time to figure out the best way of fitting them. You have to remove the OEM internal and end weights and fit as a hollow handlebar. They eventually fitted, aesthetics a little poor from the inside on the end of the bars but I can live with that if they do their job. Removing the internal bar weights was quite difficult though.

Come the milder weather I can switch back easy enough. These are not designed as handlebar muffs to insert your whole hand, just larger, flexible hand guards with very good wind protection. They clear my MRA Vario screen on full lock so should be fine for most. You see some people cutting a hole for the mirror stalk, there is no need to do this on the AT, it sits in front of it. I also left the plastic spacer that holds off the OEM hand guard, no need to remove that and it adds a little bracing which works well. If you have metal braced barkbusters they say you can leave that in place to so great if you want protection off road and some winter warmth.

Warning - if your heated grips are not glued down well there is the possibility your grip can slide off an inch to the inside edge of the guard, this is because you no longer have the OEM end weight which would of made it impossible for them to slide much. The answer really is a custom end weight to act as a shoulder, it could be a simple collar to the outside diameter of your grip with a drilled hole for the bolt. Not essential but would provide a better mechanical design, just replacing the one I have here that came with the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi eltel
Have you got any feedback on using the Blizzards last winter?
I also suffer from frozen fingertips. Last winter I fitted a pair of muffs that I had on my old 1150GS.
Although they are very warm and waterproof I find them quite awkward to get my hands in and to comfortably find the switch-gear.
The Blizzards look like what I need but how are they for keeping the pinkies warm and dry?
Are they worth the outlay?
Your opinion would be appreciated.
cheers

·
Registered
284 Posts
I came across these a while back. Easy on/ off. Looks like they might do the trick in a pretty simple way. No mods to the grips or bars, just slip them on.

They are a bit pricey for what they are, it seems.

How hard would it be to improvise your own solution, similar to these? Hmm.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ray, I really rate them and used them all winter. Not as constricting as a full muff (which don't look the best) but very effective. I sold my Africa Twin and now have a Triumph Tiger 1200 and I will be fitting them on that this winter. They are very much easer to fit to the Triumph as it happens but it isn't too much trouble for the AT once you know how. They are very effective and guard well against windchill.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Ray, I really rate them and used them all winter. Not as constricting as a full muff (which don't look the best) but very effective. I sold my Africa Twin and now have a Triumph Tiger 1200 and I will be fitting them on that this winter. They are very much easer to fit to the Triumph as it happens but it isn't too much trouble for the AT once you know how. They are very effective and guard well against windchill.
Thanks for that. Its the response I was hoping for.:)
Guess whats on my early Christmas Prezzy List.:wink2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks a lot like Hippo Hands. Looks like a lot of work to put them on. The Hippo Hands go over top of the factory or aftermarket handguards. But, now that you're done you'll have cozy hands.

https://www.hippohands.com/products/alcan-1

Reactions: Bryan Miller

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts