Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install my Barkbusters today and the bar-end weight presses up against the throttle grip. I have aftermarket heated grips but they are the same length as the stock grip and I also don't have an issue with the stock bar-end weight. Is anyone else having this problem?

Here is the stock bar-end weight, no prob.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm interested in responses to this thread. I don't have my AT yet but I do have Oxford grips and bark busters waiting for its arrival. Did you need to trim off a small ridge on the throttle body to get your grip on all the way?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in responses to this thread. I don't have my AT yet but I do have Oxford grips and bark busters waiting for its arrival. Did you need to trim off a small ridge on the throttle body to get your grip on all the way?
I didn't because I didn't envision this issue as the stock bar end weight is fine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If they are the same length as the stock grip and you have not cut the lip off the throttle then it must be sitting further out than stock. The barkbusters weight does not look shouldered like the OEM one and a bit wider so has not given you that little leeway. This is my gap with Oxford grips exact same length as stock with and without the throttle lip cut off, it makes a big difference. In my instance even the stock end weight was interfering with the grip a little too much without the lip cut. I don't have barkbusters but you have the same problem.

Attachments

Reactions: True Ad Venture

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have Barkbuster Storms and the Koso heated grips. They were a tad too long and would not go over the ridge on the throttle tube so I trimmed the grip a bit - only on the throttle side.

Reactions: True Ad Venture

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they are the same length as the stock grip and you have not cut the lip off the throttle then it must be sitting further out than stock. The barkbusters weight does not look shouldered like the OEM one and a bit wider so has not given you that little leeway. This is my gap with Oxford grips exact same length as stock with and without the throttle lip cut off, it makes a big difference. In my instance even the stock end weight was interfering with the grip a little too much without the lip cut. I don't have barkbusters but you have the same problem.
OK, I probably have the same issue. Shame that BB didn't design their bar-end weight to be more like the OEM as it still works fine with my heated grips.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up using a couple drain bolt crush washers to space out the bar-end. Now everything works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you trim the ridge off the throttle? I am getting Koso grips and wondering what the options are for the throttle side. Wondering if I can use dremel cutting disc to put a small gap in the inside of the grip so it slides onto the ridge like the stock grips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reviving on old thread here but I just completed installing Barkbusters w/ Storm covers this weekend and am / was having a sticking throttle issue as well....but for a whole other reason that I DO NOT understand AT ALL! Perhaps someone with more mechanical experience can explain this to my pea brain?

Bar weight is not interfering at all, I installed the extra washers as recommended with the Barkbuster install instructions. Was all good until I started locktite'ing and snugging stuff back up after finishing with fitting. The two 8mm bolts that hold the bracket for the brake reservoir, lever and mirror seem to affect the throttle snapback...the tighter the bolts, the less snapback until full stickage achieved...lol.

I've managed to unstick the throttle of course but I'm not confident there's enough torque on those bolts to hold up to the vibrations during off-road monkeyshines

I don't get it...I'll attach a couple pics for reference.

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Reviving on old thread here but I just completed installing Barkbusters w/ Storm covers this weekend and am / was having a sticking throttle issue as well....but for a whole other reason that I DO NOT understand AT ALL! Perhaps someone with more mechanical experience can explain this to my pea brain?

Bar weight is not interfering at all, I installed the extra washers as recommended with the Barkbuster install instructions. Was all good until I started locktite'ing and snugging stuff back up after finishing with fitting. The two 8mm bolts that hold the bracket for the brake reservoir, lever and mirror seem to affect the throttle snapback...the tighter the bolts, the less snapback until full stickage achieved...lol.

I've managed to unstick the throttle of course but I'm not confident there's enough torque on those bolts to hold up to the vibrations during off-road monkeyshines

I don't get it...I'll attach a couple pics for reference.

View attachment 55953

View attachment 55954
The kit should have come with several washers. 3 for a 2019 and below, 5 for a 2020. For some reason with the 2020 they want you to has them on both sides.

They suggest that you may need to use one or two additional if you have heated grips or else the the throttle can stick. I found mine did stick a bit with just one, but was fine with two. Have you tried adding one or two more? It may even be useful to try if you do not have heated grips.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed 3 washers and cinched it all down during fitting and throttle sticking wasn’t an issue. It wasn’t until I tightened down the other pictured clamp that an issue arose. I can take my wrench and literally adjust the throttle stickage or SnapBack from those two 8mm bolts which makes absolutely no sense to my brain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I may yet disassemble again and add another washer or 2 and see what happens. This seemingly weird ability to adjust the throttle from those two bolts has me bloody mystified.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I may yet disassemble again and add another washer or 2 and see what happens. This seemingly weird ability to adjust the throttle from those two bolts has me bloody mystified.
I believe that is why the model for the 2020 has 5 washers. It's like 2 for the left and 3 for the right. If you already have 3 on the right, you could pick up a couple more from the local hardware and try 1 or 2 on the left as well.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Also check the kit they sent.

You didn't mention year/model, but it looks like a 2019? Which would be BHG-062.

The 2020 model would be BHG-082.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, sorry 2019 ATAS. I just checked the packaging....BHG-082. I installed 3 washers. I have more but I don't really see the point when the grip isn't even touching the bar end weight. (2nd pic) Although I'm willing to try it just to see what happens.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yes, sorry 2019 ATAS. I just checked the packaging....BHG-082. I installed 3 washers. I have more but I don't really see the point when the grip isn't even touching the bar end weight. (2nd pic) Although I'm willing to try it just to see what happens.
2019 ATAS is the same as mine. Kit should be BHG-062.

If you have BHG-082 that is for the 2020 models. I am not sure what the difference is, but if it otherwise seems to work with the bike, you may need to use the washers on both sides as instructed below.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Geez now you're making me feel bad for my typing errors...LOL😂

I truly appreciate all the help.

Oh and to be totally clear, I did install 3 washers between the threaded bar insert and the bar end weight. There is at least 2-3mm clearance from the bar end weight to the grip.

IMG_1206.jpg

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Oh okay. So you DO have the 062 kit then. And you are using the washers. That definitely adds to the mystery then. It shouldn't still be binding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts