Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it's what has me so puzzled. I've tightened and loosened the clamp holding the reservoir, lever and mirror and watched it bind and release the throttle grip. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that as I tighten down those two 8mm bolts it is pulling in that assembly toward the throttle, start/kill switch housing putting pressure on the grip internally. Does that make any sense at all?

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yes, it's what has me so puzzled. I've tightened and loosened the clamp holding the reservoir, lever and mirror and watched it bind and release the throttle grip. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that as I tighten down those two 8mm bolts it is pulling in that assembly toward the throttle, start/kill switch housing putting pressure on the grip internally. Does that make any sense at all?
I haven't had the opportunity to have a look at mine yet. I know that early models had an issue where the included washer was too thin and people where purchasing thicker washers from the hardware store. But I think that is why they started to include multiple washers rather than a single one.

I assume after you loosened the clamp for the reservoir that you still had the 5mm gap?

You might want to try loosening the bolts #4 and #5 on the bar clamps and see if the guards want to move a little now that they are tightened down on the bar clamps.

I also didn't over torque mine down too much, relying on thread lock to prevent it from loosening up.

I really can't think of much else.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I think some futzing with it is going to be necessary. I didn’t measure the gap but it looks about right and nothing appears pinched or crowded.

When I fitted everything before tightening down, I loosened the reservoir clamp just enough to slide the bar clamp in place and no more than that. The right side guard is about as low as I’d want it for decent wind/rain protection, but I might tweak it down a hair and maybe adjust the reservoir position slightly to give a bit more space as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Adjusting the reservoir/mirror base a hair (and I mean a hair) further away from the throttle assembly seems to have worked. I think it’s worth noting that when fitting the right side that the throttle assembly housing is susceptible to internally pinching the throttle when tightening down the reservoir/mirror bracket, if it’s too close.

Exactly how that happens...I can’t tell you I’ve never seen the inside of the throttle assembly. But if there’s some weirdness to be found, I’ll usually find it.

Murphy’s Law I believe.......

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I am glad that you got it sorted. That kind of thing can be frustrating. Especially when, by all appearances, it look like it was done exactly right :)

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Well especially if you nap on them wrong...
Never had the chance. I saw photo evidence from too many people who did. The OEM guards came off in the first week. Between my old '16 and newer '19 and my wifes '17 I have 3 sets of those around somewhere :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I can testify to that truth. Detonation occurred to mine on a slow to no speed drop on dirt. It’s one of those items that makes you wonder why they even bother to put them on.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yeah I can testify to that truth. Detonation occurred to mine on a slow to no speed drop on dirt. It’s one of those items that makes you wonder why they even bother to put them on.
Cosmetic mostly to give it that Adventure Bike look. But they could have done better :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have Barkbuster Storms and the Koso heated grips. They were a tad too long and would not go over the ridge on the throttle tube so I trimmed the grip a bit - only on the throttle side.
Same setup, BB Storm + Koso grips. I also added a Kakoa throttle lock in. I ended up trimming about 3 mm off the throttle side grip.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts