Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had already posted a question but I can't find it so trying again.

The Barkbuster instructions are hopeless and I am having problems getting the Bar Clamps positioned on my DCT bike, the problem is how to handle the cables on the bars, the instructions provided don't show any detail and certainly no cables.

Could anyone who has successfully installed barkbusters on a DCT bike please post some photos showing how the clamps are positioned and how the cables have been routed around them.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's funny, I was looking for information and pictures because I'm installing barkbusters on my DCT right now, too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought I had already posted a question but I can't find it so trying again.

The Barkbuster instructions are hopeless and I am having problems getting the Bar Clamps positioned on my DCT bike, the problem is how to handle the cables on the bars, the instructions provided don't show any detail and certainly no cables.

Could anyone who has successfully installed barkbusters on a DCT bike please post some photos showing how the clamps are positioned and how the cables have been routed around them.

Thanks
Assuming you have CRF1000L specific Barkbusters ? I hope the pictures attached help :)
Note: be careful not to put pressure on the F/Brake Switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming you have CRF1000L specific Barkbusters ? I hope the pictures attached help :)
Yes its the CRF1000L specific kit, the photos are superb thanks for posting them

Note: be careful not to put pressure on the F/Brake Switch.
Yes indeed, I found that out after I broke mine and then had to fork out £22 for a new one ;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
The DCT takes a different barkbuster than the standard. Also if you want to use the Kaoko throttle lock it will take a different model also. I found all this out the hard way !!! Fortunately the good folks at Twisted Throttle filled me in and got me what I needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It looks like the brass insert which I think is a vibration dampener is no longer held onto the end by a little black clamp The couples the bar and wait the stock one with the brass dampener today anyone else noticed this it looks like The brass piecewants to walk deeper into the handlebar

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just unclip the bar-end screw from the internal dampener and leave the damper in the bars with whatever hardware is attached to it. You may have to move in back in a bit (depends on how far you pulled it out) as you add the bark buster hardware.

The dampener has o-rings supporting it and unless you push hard and shove it deep it is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like how in the pictures the left Bark Buster is already "experienced." I have certainly tested mine out, successfully I might add.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to install africa twin specific bark busters and they don't fit up worth a ****! It looks like they actual aluminum bar is about 1 1/2" to long. The clamp on the bar only fits on the small part, not the tapered so I can not get the 2 to reach each other.... any one else?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am trying to install africa twin specific bark busters and they don't fit up worth a ****! It looks like they actual aluminum bar is about 1 1/2" to long. The clamp on the bar only fits on the small part, not the tapered so I can not get the 2 to reach each other.... any one else?
Hi Cody, I had no problems, took me about 20min, have a look at the pics I posted on this thread, I hope that helps you. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cody - Make sure you have the handlebar brackets on the correct side - they are not identical and should be positioned so that the bend on the bracket bends towards the center of the bike, not towards the outside of the bike. If they were on the wrong side, there would be about a 1.5" problem. See attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is possible that you got the wrong parts in your kit from Barkbusters. This happened to me and is a known issue. I ordered the correct kit for the Africa Twin with DCT, but Barkbuster had put the wrong aluminum bars into some of the AT kits. In my case, they were about 1.5" too long. I worked with the customer service people at Revzilla where I bought them to get a replacement kit sent with the right bars. The bars for the AT should be straight on the inner end that is closest to the triple clamp. If your aluminum bars have a slight bend on the inner end and are too long to meet up with the bracket, you probably have also got a kit with the wrong parts. Contact the customer service of the place where you bought them. Revzilla gave me a small credit for the trouble....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the DCT barkbuster handguard kit.
I went to my local bike shop and got a set (BB BHG-151-00-NP for 22mm handlebars), but they don't fit and the clamps don't look like the ones in the photos.
I'm fitting Storm handguards.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Thank you very much.

I believe, and you can double check, that they used to have separate model #’s for DCT and non-DCT and later just started to include the extra bits into the same kit.

This was the part I ordered through Performance Cycle, with their own SKU, but I am almost positive it’s model number I mentioned above.

http://performancecycle.com/bark-buster-honda-africa-twin-handguard-kit/

Edit: If you gave them a call, I am sure they would be happy to confirm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
The BHG-062 fits the 2016 DCT and I have ordered one.
Looking at the Barkbuster website I think it also fits the non DCT models.
Thanks for you help.
I believe that it correct and that it does now. I do recall when I ordered mine originally, the shop sold me on old one, because according to BarkBusters, the part number *should* have worked. But BarkBusters figured out it was an older kit before they started to include the extra bits for DCT. They shipped those and it worked.

My bought her AT later and when she ordered the kit, the parts were included and it just worked :)

Glad you got it sorted :k

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got my BB's in yesterday and tried to install. That replacement bolt that's supposed to go in the parking brake lever has thrown me a curve. I don't see how it's suppose to fit.

I have the BHG-062-02 model

Why can't I see the attached images on this and other threads?

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Got my BB's in yesterday and tried to install. That replacement bolt that's supposed to go in the parking brake lever has thrown me a curve. I don't see how it's suppose to fit.

I have the BHG-062-02 model

Why can't I see the attached images on this and other threads?

Thanks
Just fitted two sets to dct ATAS’s, I left the internal oem handlebar weight metal clips in, as if removed, I can’t see how you can reattach them to the oem blue bar end weights, when you want to remove the BB’s (selling bike). Everything went as planned after understanding what the dct hand brake metal clip did (opens up the gap on the lever, pulling the lever back so the BB fits).
I held the ratchet mech with my fingers so it didn’t move, undid the original bolt and put the longer one straight in, as soon as you insert it, it needs screwing in, as there’s a thread in the lever, you use the locking nut to hold the metal spacer on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts