Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just unclip the bar-end screw from the internal dampener and leave the damper in the bars with whatever hardware is attached to it. You may have to move in back in a bit (depends on how far you pulled it out) as you add the bark buster hardware.

The dampener has o-rings supporting it and unless you push hard and shove it deep it is not going anywhere.
My Barkbusters should be arriving today for my 2017 AT.

My service manual (below) shows the Handlebar Weight Bolt [1] and the Snap Ring [4]. Does the Bolt fit into the Snap Ring? Is this what I'll need to un-clip?

If so, do I need to pull the whole assembly out a bit to un-clip it? And does the new Threaded Insert (8) on the Barkbusters kit get clipped back onto the Snap Ring?

Thanks in advance! I'd like to have a good idea of what I need to do before monkeying around with stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Barkbusters should be arriving today for my 2017 AT.

My service manual (below) shows the Handlebar Weight Bolt [1] and the Snap Ring [4]. Does the Bolt fit into the Snap Ring? Is this what I'll need to un-clip?

If so, do I need to pull the whole assembly out a bit to un-clip it? And does the new Threaded Insert (8) on the Barkbusters kit get clipped back onto the Snap Ring?

Thanks in advance! I'd like to have a good idea of what I need to do before monkeying around with stuff.
Does anyone know why I can't see attached photos?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone know why I can't see attached photos?

Thanks
I'm not sure. You could try asking in the "Information and Help" part of the forum. The moderators might be of some help.

Or try a different browser?

I was able to see images from the beginning and use the Chrome browser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure. You could try asking in the "Information and Help" part of the forum. The moderators might be of some help.

Or try a different browser?

I was able to see images from the beginning and use the Chrome browser.

Strange, I was using Chrome, had to switch over to IE, and now it's working. I think it may have been the ad-blocker.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts

I figured it out and it the whole process was quite straightforward following the instructions from Barkbusters.

On the left side, the bolt pulled out of the snap ring easily and the clip stayed in the bar. On the right, I had to pull the bolt with the snap ring on it until the snap ring was just outside the bar and then I could slide the bolt off of it.

The Threaded Insert (8) doesn't clip onto the Snap Ring, but it does push the whole assembly in when you're threading it into the bar.

The Storms are definitely bigger and closer to the grips, which is exactly what I was looking for. In fact, I was able to put the Honda guards over the Storms to see the difference (see attached, the Honda guard is matte black and the Storm is glossy black and underneath the Honda guard).

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Guys I am struggling too With the dct parking brake side. I insert the metal bit but then the parking brake switch is activated soon. What shall I do to get it right?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Guys I am struggling too With the dct parking brake side. I insert the metal bit but then the parking brake switch is activated soon. What shall I do to get it right?
If you can shoot a pic of how you have the little metal clip thing set up, I might be able to provide some guidance. It seems I had to fiddle with mine to get it adjusted to not trigger the "brake on" switch inadvertently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi SilverFox

I’m in the process of installing a set of BB’s on a ‘20 and although the main metal hardware is different, the park brake bracket is the same.

Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious but the job of the bracket is to sit in between the park brake switch and the lever so as to push the lever closer to the handlebar to give clearance for the BB frame. It’s pretty fiddly to install but can only sit in one way. The bracket shouldn’t affect how the brake is activated.

The photo on the BB instructions does a good job of showing you how it’s installed. Have you managed to get it installed like that? Otherwise can you upload a photo of how yours is?

Cheers

Barry

·
Registered
154 Posts
Guys thanks a lot for all the responses. Sorted. I was sitting on the horse the other way around.. The switch is activated when it is relaesed not when it is pressed. So the metal insert makes sense after all :).

·
Super Moderator
1,537 Posts
Guys thanks a lot for all the responses. Sorted. I was sitting on the horse the other way around.. The switch is activated when it is relaesed not when it is pressed. So the metal insert makes sense after all :).
Glad that you were able to sort it out and get to working

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts