Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
There is a sale on barkbusters on a shop I regularly use, I was considering buying them, because I like the looks, and most of the AT I see have this upgrade.

But then I started wondering if I really needed them.. I don´t plan on using the AT offroad, I use it as a tourer mainly, but I love the fact that I can ride in rural areas and roads without any problem.

I had a tip over a few months ago and the stock guards barely touched the ground. just a couple of light scratches.

Based on this scenario, should I buy them? or save the 100€ for other upgrade?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good question
my initial response was no point save your money for something else...but then maybe you like the styling, or the protection theyll offer your hands.
I did install some but hen I di this after dropping my old bike off road and watching the OE ones smash.

·
Registered
979 Posts
They do a surprisingly good job of deflecting the wind on cold days and keeping your hands warm.
Unlike the OEM wind guards if you drop the bike again the Barkbusters will prevent damage to your levers and hands - much more robust.
To be honest, if you're using the AT for touring it's unlikely that you'll ever drop it. But, if you do a bit of gravel or dirt roads there's a good chance you'll drop it at some point.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
I dropped a stock AT with no barkbusters or crashbars on pavement. Some foolishness at zero mph that I have elaborated on elsewhere.

Zero damage to the bike. Maybe some light scratches on the left barend weight, but they rubbed out with a glove.

I did install them on the AT I own, though. I take it into some midly interesting places, and have dropped it a couple of times. The plastic BB guards get a few scratches, but nice not to lose a lever.

The "Storm" plastic guards from barkbusters do a pretty nice job of helping keep your hands warm and mostly dry, at speed. Combined with heated grips, it is a nice experience on 40+ F days.

Hated adding the weight for almost everything I have hung on the AT, but having the protection in place gives me more confidence to try things I have not tried before, or push limits a bit for an old guy... my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
181 Posts
One of my wife's bikes did a slide at 60-some mph on the road and the Barkbusters backbone held up well.

My wife often rides with me, and I usually let her lead the way.
I am in constant fear of having to watch her fall down, and have done so one time, fortunately, at a low speed.
Still, she hurt her arm, shoulder and back, and was off the road for a while, but DID come back :).

How was it for you? Did you see her fall, how did it affect you?

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
My wife often rides with me, and I usually let her lead the way.
I am in constant fear of having to watch her fall down, and have done so one time, fortunately, at a low speed.
Still, she hurt her arm, shoulder and back, and was off the road for a while, but DID come back :).

How was it for you? Did you see her fall, how did it affect you?
I do the same with having my wife lead when we ride together. But this time I did not see her fall. She was on her way back from work when the bike went into a sudden violent tank slapper and tossed her.

Luckily it sent her toward the median strip where she was able to crawl up on it. Even more luckily was that her gear protected her from serious injury. She refused the ambulance ride and had me pick her and the bike up. The hospital was impressed saying that they don't have many people walk in after coming off their bikes at 65mph, let alone walk back out without any serious injury.

At first they were sure she had broken her mandible because her jaw would not close, but x-rays showed it to be bruised, same with ribs. She had a lot of various bruising and a laceration on one hand that required stitching. Which was wierd, because it didn't cut through the glove.

Her gear took a beating, but the helmet did its job as did her jacket, pants and as did the ForceField armored under layers :)

I recall a number of years ago reading a story.. I belive it may have been in Visor Down.. where the author was riding behind his wife on the way back from the dealership after picking up her first bike. She had some sort of issue for which I forget the details, but she crashed and died at the scene. A sobering thought that's always on my mind.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
181 Posts
That's quite a story, she is so fortunate, tough, or just know how to roll with the flow!
She was smart to have worn what is apparent from the photos, top end protection gear.
Strange about the lacerations without damaging the gloves, how does that happen?

Had to google "tank slapper" hadn't heard that term before, but I've imagined the scenario.
Does your wife know what she might have done to contribute to that happening?

I'm going to look into the ForceField underlayer stuff, for both of us, it sounds interesting.
Neither of us has any lower body gear, other than boots.

Were you both riders before you got married?
Has your wife continued to ride?

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
That's quite a story, she is so fortunate, tough, or just know how to roll with the flow!
She was smart to have worn what is apparent from the photos, top end protection gear.
Strange about the lacerations without damaging the gloves, how does that happen?
The best we could figure is that the gloves she as wearing (Held Air and Dry) had a much better tear/puncture resistance than they did stability. The laceration was actually fairly deep. They had to soak in in betadine and do some deep wound cleansing before stitching it and were worried about infection. But it all healed well.

The Helmet is an Arai XD4 (Tour X4 I think they call it in some countries) she had a fat lip and a few other facial bruises but nothing was broken.

Had to google "tank slapper" hadn't heard that term before, but I've imagined the scenario.
Does your wife know what she might have done to contribute to that happening?
She really doesn't know. The bike was purchased used. A Husqvarna 650 Terra. She bought it as a commuter and something lighter/cheaper to mess around with. Those bikes aren't known for their stability and the previous owner sold it for that reason among others, but it checked out ok and been working fine for my wife up to that point. She was leaned over in a turn when things turned violent and she was tossed.

I'm going to look into the ForceField underlayer stuff, for both of us, it sounds interesting.
Neither of us has any lower body gear, other than boots.
Your wife may be resistant tot he idea of the ForceField stuff at first. It isn't the most flattering to the female form. But the ER Doc and Sara and I are convinced it is responsible for bruised rather than cracked ribs. they are an underlayer that you wear under your jacket/pants. Take the armor out of those if they have it. The ForceField armor does a much better job of staying in place and has chest protection that most jackets do not.

Were you both riders before you got married?
Has your wife continued to ride?
We were not. We picked up motorcycling late in life. We have been riding for about 10 years. Getting into motorcycling was actually her idea. She announced to me one day that she planned to take a motorcycle course and that I could join her or not :D

Actually her original thought was to buy a scooter for commuting to work, but after learning to ride a motorcycle and then test riding both scooters and motorcycles, the scooter idea was soon forgotten :)

And yeah, she was back riding after about 2 weeks off

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey guys,
There is a sale on barkbusters on a shop I regularly use, I was considering buying them, because I like the looks, and most of the AT I see have this upgrade.

But then I started wondering if I really needed them.. I don´t plan on using the AT offroad, I use it as a tourer mainly, but I love the fact that I can ride in rural areas and roads without any problem.

I had a tip over a few months ago and the stock guards barely touched the ground. just a couple of light scratches.

When at the end of a long day you do something stupid, like pulling onto the verge and stop with wheels on a high spot and a pothole where your foot is heading, or you try to pull away from stop around a corner in 3rd gear and stall whilst leaning or ... you get the idea.
The AT wind guards won’t protect levers. And as you pick up the bike you see the clutch lever broken. End of ride. Or brake lever. And the plastic now broken and flapping in the breeze.
Metal frame hand guards are the most used protection on any bike. Just go to any school and check the student bikes.
They can look good too! Just buy them now rather that later.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
600 Posts
Hey guys,

I recommend saving your $$$. The OEM hand guards will work fine to cut the wind. They don't take damage well. Drop the bike and you might be buying a replacement. The Barkbusters are OK but not worth the extra $$$ unless you like to romp the boonies IMHBIO.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
181 Posts
Your wife may be resistant tot he idea of the ForceField stuff at first. It isn't the most flattering to the female form. But the ER Doc and Sara and I are convinced it is responsible for bruised rather than cracked ribs. they are an underlayer that you wear under your jacket/pants. Take the armor out of those if they have it. The ForceField armor does a much better job of staying in place and has chest protection that most jackets do not.

We were not. We picked up motorcycling late in life. We have been riding for about 10 years. Getting into motorcycling was actually her idea. She announced to me one day that she planned to take a motorcycle course and that I could join her or not :D

Actually her original thought was to buy a scooter for commuting to work, but after learning to ride a motorcycle and then test riding both scooters and motorcycles, the scooter idea was soon forgotten :)

And yeah, she was back riding after about 2 weeks off

View attachment 55284 View attachment 55285

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
181 Posts
Julie and I both rode when younger. She, from 12 on, on a Honda 90, all over the countryside, from her dad’s farm. Me from 17-40, on various Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki bikes. We both quit riding when kids got in grade school, and got back into it with a couple of Yamaha Majesty 400cc scooters 11 yrs ago, HER idea. But she’s been cooling on it lately, lots on her plate. We’ll have to see. Thanks for indulging me on your crash story, an enjoyable read. Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
Julie and I both rode when younger. She, from 12 on, on a Honda 90, all over the countryside, from her dad’s farm. Me from 17-40, on various Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki bikes. We both quit riding when kids got in grade school, and got back into it with a couple of Yamaha Majesty 400cc scooters 11 yrs ago, HER idea. But she’s been cooling on it lately, lots on her plate. We’ll have to see. Thanks for indulging me on your crash story, an enjoyable read. Thanks!
Certainly, reading about it is more enjoyable than experiencing it. ಥʖ̯ಥ

Luckily that has been the only potentially serious accident we have had so far. Mostly some low-speed maneuvers that went wrong when we were first learning and some off-road tumbles.

She is tough though, she was back to work the next day. Luckily it was her left hand that was injured since she works as a Dental Hygienist. She was able to still work with her right hand. So she didn't have to call AFLAK or anything :)

Hopefully, Julie comes around. Maybe she needs a new challenge or inspiration to find the passion in the sport again?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts