Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering changing the bars to offer a little more protection at the top from my present SW-Motech. Looking at the damage to my fairing, however, I'm and not sure if something like the Touratech or similar would have prevented it. It may have taken most of the contact away I guess. As yet, I haven't worked out if the bike traveled along the rut or it flipped up a little.

Completely my fault. Haven't ridden for a while due to a back injury and I chose the wrong time to venture off road as this was my first outing in some time.

Note to self:

Don't go for a blast following an argument with the missus.

1st time ever I didn't take tools.

After telling yourself the terrain has changed, take notice to your own statements!

·
Registered
170 Posts
i hope you doing ok buddy!

i love my outback motortek mids and uppers and my B&B offorad Dakar skid plate.

total protection.

get better soon and safe riding!

cheers!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm running the Heed bars and they work. Had a minor off on the right side. Right bar was scuffed up pretty good, but all other parts were intact and un-damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Riding like a man who knew where he was going... until one hears your "ohh!" as you come upon the new "ruts," the full extent of which isn't revealed until the camera pans back to the spot after your fall... you went off a fricking cliff.

And the damage to the bike, up so high on the fairing, right up next to, and on, the screen... I'm guessing the rear end went up (high) and she nosedived.

I'm not sure any crash-bars would have saved you from that damage.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly. Stay safe, man.

Ps. I watched some of your other videos; good stuff. Bangkok, of all places. Cool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm considering changing the bars to offer a little more protection at the top from my present SW-Motech. Looking at the damage to my fairing, however, I'm and not sure if something like the Touratech or similar would have prevented it. It may have taken most of the contact away I guess. As yet, I haven't worked out if the bike traveled along the rut or it flipped up a little.

Completely my fault. Haven't ridden for a while due to a back injury and I chose the wrong time to venture off road as this was my first outing in some time.

Note to self:

Don't go for a blast following an argument with the missus.

1st time ever I didn't take tools.

After telling yourself the terrain has changed, take notice to your own statements!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aniBQ02QZM

Also buy some Leatte dual axis knee guards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riding like a man who knew where he was going... until one hears your "ohh!" as you come upon the new "ruts," the full extent of which isn't revealed until the camera pans back to the spot after your fall... you went off a fricking cliff.

And the damage to the bike, up so high on the fairing, right up next to, and on, the screen... I'm guessing the rear end went up (high) and she nosedived.

I'm not sure any crash-bars would have saved you from that damage.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly. Stay safe, man.

Ps. I watched some of your other videos; good stuff. Bangkok, of all places. Cool.
Cheers, I think what happened is the nose dived in the ditch and possibly the back end came up a little. Turned out there was slightly more damage than I first thought, but all cosmetic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone had the standard OEM bars fitted or know of the quality? I ask because Honda may end up offering these bars only and I very much doubt they will order in the SW-Motech or any other for that matter. Thinking to flog them after or just use the Touratech lower kit if the bars are actually ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone had the standard OEM bars fitted or know of the quality? I ask because Honda may end up offering these bars only and I very much doubt they will order in the SW-Motech or any other for that matter. Thinking to flog them after or just use the Touratech lower kit if the bars are actually ok.
My 2016 bike came with the OEM bars, which are actually called Light Bar by Honda (a place to attach fog lights), and for a good reason.
They are very lightweight and tend to swivel from right to left if you put a bit of pressure on them, as they are connected only at a narrow part in the front of the bike. I had one slow fall on the right side and the bars rotated just enough to hit the plastic they were supposed to protect. I didn't have any damage, besides a few scratches, seeing that it was a light fall and the bar did disperse the hit over a larger area of the plastics, but I definitely would not like to test them with a harder fall.

I've recently changed to Heed Bunker bars, and the difference in weight and sturdiness is night and day IMHO.

Reactions: FarangMoto

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After 3 months my bike is back from Honda having fairing replaced. Yes, 3 months. Well, I thought it had been repaired, it seems they forgot to change the left side despite them marking the damage. I do understand though, as 3 months is a very short time to think about what needs changing! TiT. Or This is Thailand, as they say.

The bike was delivered back to me as I was unfit to ride.

Oh well, the bike is back and I can at least ride it until the part comes in 3 months time.

Still haven't decided on the new bars. Tempted just to stick with the SW. Heard varied opinions on all from Touratech engine bar caving in on the crankcase causing serious damage to SW not protecting the upper. Seems SW now have an upper add-on. I don't know much about it but according to the bumf here, it looks like it's only for the AT Sport.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
i love my B&B offorad Dakar skid plate.
Thinking hard on the Dakar bash plate but don't think it will work with the heed bars and may have to get Altrider. Heed now has upper bars only but don't see it for the '18 ATAS dct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173882002639

I'm running the Heed bars and they work.
Try Heed bars. I've crashed at least 10 times at speeds up to 45 km/h without as much as a mark on my farings
I appreciate your insights and support for the Heed, just emailed them waiting to hear back though it's 3:46 am for them right now - LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts