Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my public announcement. I was just leaving on a 2 day’r - dirt & hwy. Didn’t get but 20 miles down the freeway and the whole console flashed a couple times. About 30 seconds later, flashed again.....died in the fast lane. Nothing. Dangerous, yes. Luckily I had a little momentum - in a split second and get on the side of the road.
-80 to zero in a second or two
  • wasn’t sure what the heck was wrong
  • fought like heck to get to battery..not ez.
  • buddy came by and I just tried to jump it..it worked
  • went 3 miles, died again
-kept at it til I made it to bike shop
- put in new battery (pain) , off I went
Yikes

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Sorry to hear such trouble, glad to hear you’re ok and back on the road, hope you have a safe and uneventful rest of your trip

·
Registered
2021 ATAS Es DCT
96 Posts
Sorry to hear such trouble, glad to hear you’re ok and back on the road, hope you have a safe and uneventful rest of your trip
Not a fun way to start an adventure! Hopefully your luck will only get better. How old was your battery? Be safe and have fun!!
Pikester5

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
It was the original battery.2017. Doesn’t give much notice. BTW I love the AT!
Good to know. My wife has a 2017, I will have her keep an eye on it. Though batteries of course can vary. I see stated life expectancies of 2-5 years, so that's a bit of a range. I traded in my 2016 at at the end of last summer with the original battery.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Loose battery ground?
Been on charger constantly?
A lot of things can kill a battery. Usually it’s left discharged too long or overcharged.
Glad you are safe.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Jeez, glad it panned out for you Garnett. Are we talking about an AGM lead acid battery? If so, all bets are off following year three of the battery's age. You would be on borrowed time. However, I would have expected a wee bit of warning like a hard cold-start than normal.

I find it somewhat strange that once the engine was successfully restarted, the charging system could not keep you afloat. Maybe the battery had a severe internal short?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Jeez, glad it panned out for you Garnett. Are we talking about an AGM lead acid battery? If so, all bet are off following year three of the battery's age. You would be on borrowed time. However, I would have expected a wee bit of warning like a hard cold-start than normal.

I find it somewhat strange that once the engine was successfully restarted, the charging system could not keep you afloat. Maybe the battery had a severe internal short?
That’s what I was thinking it had to be, just from what he described. The stator/system puts out 14v + even at idle more than enough to keep the bike going. Then his experience going and stopping, point to the same thing, a bad internal short. Had this happen on one of my cars a long time ago, when driving the road vibrations would short the battery and kill the car. Had to start the car and disconnect the battery to drive it to a auto parts store. Unfortunately a after the fact statement here, but that would have worked in his case too. This was also a “back in the day” quick way of eliminating or proving the battery as an issue in charging problems. After we start the bike the battery is pretty much useless it just sets there using electricity, pulling from the stator to keep charged up. LOL it is actually a burden on our electrical system, but without the bike running it is needed to power up all the electronics and to start the bike, so you can say too that it is a necessary evil :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jeez, glad it panned out for you Garnett. Are we talking about an AGM lead acid battery? If so, all bet are off following year three of the battery's age. You would be on borrowed time. However, I would have expected a wee bit of warning like a hard cold-start than normal.

I just replaced the battery in my '17. It rarely went on the tender if ever, but gets ridden regularly. It has always started in all weather's and temperatures. I was getting ready to go on a trip, we were in a cold snap and the bike wouldn't start, dead battery. Thinking about its age, I went ahead and replaced it. I still have it, it goes on the tender every couple of weeks and still showing its holding a charge. Getting deep in the woods it wasn't worth having the worry.

Shortly after I bought the bike, I wired in an aux line for charging my phone..... The battery connections were loose. It was a new bike and I had only put 1000k on it, so I would definitely check that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts