Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I left the key in the on position for a few hours after a short ride,and then the bettery appears to be dead. What options doI have to jget it charged again.p
Start with what year bike do you have? It matters because of the li-ion in the later model yrs. I you can jump the battery just like you would a car. The battery is only going to take what it needs. If your battery is Li, you can do the same thing but realize unless you use a li specific charger, it will be under charged but it will get you going again.
I left the key in the on position for a few hours after a short ride,and then the bettery appears to be dead. What options doI have to jget it charged again.p

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you decide to jump start your OE lithium battery, many on this forum would like to hear back from you.
Some had luck, some had failures.
How lucky are you? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start with what year bike do you have? It matters because of the li-ion in the later model yrs. I you can jump the battery just like you would a car. The battery is only going to take what it needs. If your battery is Li, you can do the same thing but realize unless you use a li specific charger, it will be under charged but it will get you going again.
She is a 2020 Honda African Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT

·
Registered
41 Posts
She is a 2020 Honda African Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
I have the same bike but have not had to deal with the battery as of yet. I did work training battery maintenance for DOD for 15 yrs but it was almost all lead acid. That said, Li is different. If you only have a LA charger I would trickle charge your battery to get the voltage and amperage up enough to start the bike for now and then let the bike bring it up the rest of the way. Li charges at a different rate and to higher voltages than LA and is more volatile. I am buying a charger specific to Li batteries for just this reason. The good news is being at zero for a a little while has much less effect on Li than it does LA.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The only problem with this kind of battery (like the one mounted on the recent ATs) is that the battery management system (BMS) may not allow it to charge for safety reason. In this case you have a brick, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Give it a shot with a specified Li-ion battery charger. The battery is basically shut-off by its associated electronics. The cells should still have charge in them, but is unavailable. Let the charger do its thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Give it a shot with a specified Li-ion battery charger. The battery is basically shut-off by its associated electronics. The cells should still have charge in them, but is unavailable. Let the charger do its thing.
IDK about the earlier models but the 2020's have a maintenance charger connector grub the factory. Can't figure out how to attach a picture but it's directly above the left footpeg and side stand.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The BMS on japanese batteries are better than their counterparts and should of prevented the battery from being bricked. However you may be locked out.
Optimate chargers have a low voltage save function. A BMS Auto Reset function. Charge the battery in a uninterrupted state for 24 Hrs, unless you have top of the line with LCD. (I would disconnected for this, for a trickle No)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The BMS on japanese batteries are better than their counterparts and should of prevented the battery from being bricked. However you may be locked out.
Optimate chargers have a low voltage save function. A BMS Auto Reset function. Charge the battery in a uninterrupted state for 24 Hrs, unless you have top of the line with LCD. (I would disconnected for this, for a trickle No)
So all this conversation made me do some additional research since it's been some time since I worked in the industry. If it were my bike and if I was to do anything except use an approved Li ion recovery system I would take the battery out of the bike and anything I was going to do would be done outside. Safety before saving some money.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Honda recommends the 2 below: the latter is also the battery manufacturer who thinks they're TESLA of the east or sumthin' ($$$$) :)

OptiMATE Lithium LFP 4s-5A (U.S.A. only) or
C1401 B manufactured by ELIIY Power Co., Ltd.).
Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
• Quick charging should only be done in an emergency; slow charging is preferred.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So all this conversation made me do some additional research since it's been some time since I worked in the industry. If it were my bike and if I was to do anything except use an approved Li ion recovery system I would take the battery out of the bike and anything I was going to do would be done outside. Safety before saving some money.
Just disconnecting can be a drama. So of course you would take the battery out. Disconnecting negative first for safety.
Im not a battery expert and more than happy to be corrected.
I bought the optimate lithium LPF 4s 0.8A / LiFePO4 for our YZ's in 2018. But I have never found a need to use it. The box is still unopened.
I could be wrong but I think we have moved on from Li-ion
In years gone bye, leaving the ignition switched on you could sometimes burn the coil too.

Reactions: MDA1775

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update: thanks for all the help...Problem resolved.
Lesson Learned: always turn the bike off with the key, not the kill switch.
1. I removed the battery from the bike (It had 2.3 volts remaining)
2. I purchased a Battery Tender® 6V/12V, 4 Amp Lead Acid & Lithium Selectable Battery ' Charger ($58 @Lowes)
3. When I connected it and it went into recovery mode for 45 mins, then charged the battery in 4 hrs.
4. Reinstalled the battery with a battery charger connection wire to plug in the charger, located the plug next to key for seat removal. The wire was included with the charger.
5. I connected the charger to the battery and plugged it into the 120v outlets. This has a auto switch to prevent overcharging.

Link : Battery Tender Charger for Lithium Ion Batteries

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for posting results; so rare on this forum.
You confirmed for us that the BMS in the ELIIY battery is quite good and works with lithium chargers other than the 2 recommended by Honda.
This will put at ease a lot of us who only were guessing at what happens when you find a dead battery in your AT.
So glad, you did not have to go somewhere and jump started a dead lithium :)

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Thanks👍 for the update with your battery issues. Another thing to add to my list of maintenance tools to keep my bike running. Happy 2021 to all and BE BLESSED.
Hey @Sootytom - welcome to the Forum. I guess I missed you earlier.

Nevertheless, feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you decide to jump start your OE lithium battery, many on this forum would like to hear back from you.
2021 CRF1100 SD0941 Adventure Sport DCT
1 week old 250km on the clock.
Battery: HY110 ELIIY PO 31500-MKK-D02
I spent an hour or so with the ignition on trying to get my phone to link with Android Auto and then went to start the engine and it turned over slowly but not enough to start. I didn't realise there was an issue with jumping as I only read the forum after. I knew that I couldn't use my lead/acid charger.
I used a 100Ah large car/truck battery with short jumper leads which my son touched briefly to the battery terminals and simply fired up and disconnected immediately.
No issues that I am aware if.
My battery is now reading 13.5v (on board computer) every morning when at about 15°C. This seems a bit low and may be as a result of running it down so far. It was on 11v when it started charging on its own alternator.
Anyone tell me what the voltage is on their batteries.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
My average freeway running charge voltage is 13.8V.

Might be easier to procure a lithium battery charger for motorcycles to get the battery back to full health overnight.

Alternatively, go on a very long riding journey. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts