Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
I left the key in the on position for a few hours after a short ride,and then the bettery appears to be dead. What options doI have to jget it charged again.p
Give it a shot with a specified Li-ion battery charger. The battery is basically shut-off by its associated electronics. The cells should still have charge in them, but is unavailable. Let the charger do its thing.

Super Moderator
My average freeway running charge voltage is 13.8V.

Might be easier to procure a lithium battery charger for motorcycles to get the battery back to full health overnight.

Alternatively, go on a very long riding journey. :)

Super Moderator
Keep in mind lithium batteries don't behave "linearly" like lead-acid based batteries.

Onboard battery management electronics keeps the battery voltage from dropping below a minimum for safety motives. Not sure what that is, but maybe around the 9 to 10V range. Therefore, it may appear always greater than 50% capacity, unless the battery cells are truly troubled.

Super Moderator
The typical safe voltage range of a single lithium cell is between 3v to 4.2v (this can vary slightly depending on the exact cell chemistry), with the nominal voltage being 3.7v. As far as I am aware, lithium motorcycle battery's normally use 4 cells in series coupled to the BMS.
That is handy knowledge if one is attempting to "rescue" a complete battery component. I reckon most considering that route would just replace the battery, or replace all the internal cells and take no chances with piecemeal cell swaps. Cell manufacturing capability and quality vary greatly across offerings.

Super Moderator
Hey @Ltwatters, sometimes some battery chargers that "auto detect" whether it is a lead acid or lithium-based battery get it wrong. I wait until the correct charger LED indicator lights up and/or I force it to go into the proper charge mode. If you walk away and it chooses the "lead acid" charging algorithm, that could spell the end of the lithium battery, especially if the charge "desulphates" prior to recharging.

Welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts