Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace the original battery on my 2016 AT DCT. The battery died after leaving the key on for about 10 minutes while riding in National Forest. I had a jump start box but it wouldn't start the bike. Finally got a jump from a Forest Service truck with cables. This is the second time this has happened so I think it is time for a new battery. Trying to decide if I should go back with a standard Lead Acid Battery or with the newer Lithiums. Looking at the Antigravity battery with restart but wondering if the restart will actually work on the AT. Concerned about jump starting lithium batteries and need to buy a special lithium battery tender. It appears the AT needs a certain voltage level for it to start which is why the Jump Box is not working. Are other 16 AT owners replacing batteries yet and if so what are the recommendations. It seems the YUSA Lead Acid is more expensive than the Antigravity Restart at least on RMATV.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
292 Posts
Had to replace mine on a 2017, about six months ago. Last I looked, saw the stock lead acid Yuasa on Amzon for $125. Dealer wanted $250.

I thought about the Lithium; but decided "not this time" anyway.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Yuasa AGM battery on my '17 with a generic AGM replacement for $100. Yuasas were $150. Call me cheap, but lithiums are way too high, and I'm not married to brand names.

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Yuasa AGM battery on my '17 with a generic AGM replacement for $100. Yuasas were $150. Call me cheap, but lithiums are way too high, and I'm not married to brand names.
AGM makes much more sense on the 2017 model year. Later models are for the most part constrained to the lithium configuration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello-
I'm in the opposite camp.
I just ordered a Li battery to replace the original battery in my new-to-me 2016 AT DCT (also in silver). I had a 2018 AT DCT, but sold it and regretted it everyday. I was aware that one of the benefits Honda touted was that the Li battery in the 2018 model was about 5 pounds lighter than the AGM battery. I guess since I had Li before, I was willing to replace the original with it. I'm not a weight reduction (every spare ounce matters) kind of person at all, but I did enjoy that the Li battery had more CCA and typically held a charge at 13.1v all the time. I bought the Shorai product, which I have bought in the past, and will be installing it this week. Also, be aware that switching to Li will mean that you need a tender that will charge Li batteries correctly as well. Again, already being invested in the Li tech, I have a switchable Battery Tender for both AGM and Li. I'm not criticizing anyone's individual choice - just thought I would share my experience.

2018 I let go of too soon:
IMG_1005.jpeg

New-to-me 2016 (with just 33 miles on the odometer!)
IMG_2074.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
Nice bikes @BetterByCab. The lithium battery so far appears quiet durable.

Why did you leave the 2018 AT? Just a moment of "weakness" sort of thing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice bikes @BetterByCab. The lithium battery so far appears quiet durable.

Why did you leave the 2018 AT? Just a moment of "weakness" sort of thing?
Don't want to go too far off topic, but I sold the AT to offset another bike purchase, a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. I should never have sold that AT - it was a short sighted decision.
I am also blessed with a supportive wife, who understands (puts up with?) my 2 wheel addiction. So when I found this one, I had to bring it home partly to deal with the guilt of selling the first one! The other part was it was too good of a bike to not have in the garage.
On topic: the Goldwing has a AGM battery, which the selectable Battery Tender (Li / AGM) works well for :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello-
I'm in the opposite camp.
I just ordered a Li battery to replace the original battery in my new-to-me 2016 AT DCT (also in silver). I had a 2018 AT DCT, but sold it and regretted it everyday. I was aware that one of the benefits Honda touted was that the Li battery in the 2018 model was about 5 pounds lighter than the AGM battery. I guess since I had Li before, I was willing to replace the original with it. I'm not a weight reduction (every spare ounce matters) kind of person at all, but I did enjoy that the Li battery had more CCA and typically held a charge at 13.1v all the time. I bought the Shorai product, which I have bought in the past, and will be installing it this week. Also, be aware that switching to Li will mean that you need a tender that will charge Li batteries correctly as well. Again, already being invested in the Li tech, I have a switchable Battery Tender for both AGM and Li. I'm not criticizing anyone's individual choice - just thought I would share my experience.

2018 I let go of too soon:
View attachment 57609

New-to-me 2016 (with just 33 miles on the odometer!)
View attachment 57610
I have a 2017 CRF1000L and my stock battery is almost dead. I want to replace with Lipo but there is a lot of mix opinions on the forum about this. I'd like to hear from someone who actually has done it. What did you find and and what would you recommend a fellow pre-LiPo AT owner

·
Registered
360 Posts
Will the bikes charging system cope OK going from conventional to Li battery. I have the 2018 ATAS with Li. Also have a CRF 250 Rally - but I cant stop googling the Goldwing DCT. If I did go for a Wing the AT would have to go, but I love it. Why do we start looking at other bikes as soon as we have modified our current to suit our needs perfectly. I blame the internet. - and lockdown !

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 2017 CRF1000L and my stock battery is almost dead. I want to replace with Lipo but there is a lot of mix opinions on the forum about this. I'd like to hear from someone who actually has done it. What did you find and and what would you recommend a fellow pre-LiPo AT owner
I put in a SSB Power Sport LFP 14H Lithium battery June 2019 into a 2016 bike starts much better has much higher cold cranking amps, its warm here most of the time only a few times its been cold ie less than 5 deg C so cant advise on cold weather starting. Its never had a battery tender since I installed it.It was about a 5th of the weight and about the same price as an original battery, no issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
I have read about few Honda CB1100 folks who replaced their tired OEM AGM lead-based battery with a lithium-based alternative a couple years ago and continue to operate with no ill afterthought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts