Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up riding dirt bikes. My first was an XR75 at the age of 13. A few years later I had a an Elsinore 125. I lived in the dirt. Then, when I was 19 I bought a CB750F and became a roadie. I lived on that bike too! Then came collage, marriage, and kids and motorcycles were not part of that equation. I had plenty of friends with bikes, so I was able to ride from time to time but without ownership, you don't really get to understand the bike.

Fast forward 30+ years and I found myself pinning for an adventure bike. I was aiming for a KTM until Honda produced the AT. By the time I decided to pull the trigger they announced the new ATAS. I placed my order for the new ATAS DCT on April 2 and then I waited, and waited....

I received a call on Saturday, August 4 that the bike had arrived. I picked it up and took the long way home. I rode over the coastal range to the Pacific Coast Highway and looped back on some nice, twisty, backcountry roads and racked on 140 miles. I was impressed with the bike overall but was wondering if I had made a mistake and should have bought the manual version. I didn't quite get the DCT.

I read up on the DCT functions and rode it a couple more times around town and began to dial in some of the features. Still, I was wondering if I should have bought the manual.

I woke up early last weekend with a plan to ride over to the east bay backcountry to spend some more time in the saddle. To get there I had to ride city streets and freeway for about an hour. There the DCT performs as it should. I entered Niles Canyon and had it set in S3 mode. A little bit of altitude and a bit heavier on the throttle and the bike starts to come alive. I was still mixed in with some autos so my speed into the corners was nothing too aggressive.

Once I entered Mines Road it all changed. The canyon runs out through the backside of Mt. Hamilton. I opened it up. It was 8am and nothing but tight twisties, me, and the DCT. OMG. The thing just came alive! The traction control, ABS, engine braking, rev-match downshifting. I had miles of smiles! I rode 60 miles and saw one motorcyclist, which I passed on a short straight, and a coyote that ran across the rode. The sun was up, the temperature was right and the bike was awesome! After a bit more than an hour I peaked Mt. Hamilton at 4,265 ft. elevation.

I descended the face less aggressively, which is steeper and tighter, than the more open back country. I felt I needed to back off before I do something stupid. I rode home with the thought that I was glad to have made the DCT choice. It will still take some getting use to but I have embraced this technology.

I look forward to getting on some fire roads this fall and experiencing the DCT in the dirt, on more technical terrain. Before I do, I need to purchase engine guards and swap out the tires.

That's my intro, I hope to see you out there. Cheers!

·
Registered
977 Posts
That's a great road on both sides of Mt. Hamilton. The side closest to San Jose is steep and windy and the other side is bumpy and broken pavement in spots with some really good curvy bits, too. That'd be a perfect road for testing your new bike.

I like my manual transmission but I'd certainly by the DCT the next time around.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
170 Posts
cool story Fixed2Gear, now i'm even more inclined to go with the DCT version.
I'm in LA, what was the OTD price over there? Here they wanna charge $1,300 dealer fees. Bringing the price up to 16k. Maybe i should just go to the Bay area and get it iver there. Cheers and safe riding!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts