Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Has anyone wired the front to the rear LED turn signals to gain parallel operation? Wether you wanted them all off or on as running lights?

Story

I was going to add to the LED indicator thread, but this is a bit different.
Maybe because I'm not as young and foolish as I once was, or because I am extra protective of my newer passengers, but in addition to my new White helmet I'm looking to add visibility to the bike. While it may not appeal to some, turning on the front indicators as running lights is a great idea. In my industry we know that lights get you seen, (moreso anyway).

I plan to add dimmable LED driving lights to supplement the front for see and be seen, but the rear is lacking. I can add all sorts of LED options to the rear, but those pretty amber indicators are just sitting there much of the time, dark; let's light em up! Looking at the wiring diagram it appears the EU spec bikes use two wire LED for turn signal, so they must use selectable output for flashing. Could the preferred output be used for all four indicators without messing up the flash rate? Are the four flashers the same part number?

Solutions:

Some add ons that claim LED compatibility;
I don't like the slow, non selectable flash rate of "Back off" triple play units that seem more effective for incandescent bulbs.
Skene says their flasher module IQ-260 cannot be used with stock turn signals.https://www.skenelights.com/installation-p3
Found a good option with Custom Dynamics, but their units use the markers as additional brake lights, (they recommend only red indicators be used for this). So far this looks like my best bet as you can select the brake lights or turn signals to flash independently or as a set. https://youtu.be/5ay75mHE0Ek

As mentioned I can add plenty of extra lights, but I was hoping first to take advantage of the lights that are already there.
I think the added turn running lights and flash patterns could really add visibility to the rear.

I just found a nice write up that explains how to add this functionality to the front, but I'm worried that splicing into the controller might throw a fault code. http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/713-yamaha-r3-how-diy/90825-make-your-front-led-turn-indicators-into-running-lights-too.html

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could the preferred output be used for all four indicators without messing up the flash rate? Are the four flashers the same part?
There are four separate circuits and each is individually monitored for correct current draw, so disconnecting the rears and adding their loads to the front would mess up the flash rate.

Each flasher has a separate part number.

The approach I took was:

1. Add a Backoff modulator. I agree the flash rate could be faster.
2. Add an Admore SMT light bar under the plate. This combines additional brake light, brake modulation, accelerometer-driven pseudo-brake, and secondary turn signals into one package. However, it does not add additional lighting when you are not braking.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx, still $300.USD

save yourself a heap of trouble and just add some small LED running lights with a modulator. e.g. https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-bullets-v2-motorcycle-running-lights/ plus a https://www.bikevis.com/product-category/motorcycle-lighting-modulators/ also sold in the USA via webbikeworld.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSRWu-Zaag
I like these and may add a set, but was also thinking if I'm going to pay money and run wires, why not add lights that pull double duty. Maybe I can add the twinkle function to the cyclops?

There are four separate circuits and each is individually monitored for correct current draw, so disconnecting the rears and adding their loads to the front would mess up the flash rate.

Each flasher has a separate part number.

The approach I took was:

1. Add a Backoff modulator. I agree the flash rate could be faster.
2. Add an Admore SMT light bar under the plate. This combines additional brake light, brake modulation, accelerometer-driven pseudo-brake, and secondary turn signals into one package. However, it does not add additional lighting when you are not braking.
So adding one little LED to a front turn will draw too much current and throw a fault? Is this monitoring only on the turn signals? Adding the Backoff or Admore to the brake/tail won't throw a fault? What if I wire a remote turn on to the high beam for the Skene dimmer, would that throw a fault? Btw Admore also functions as running light as claimed on their website.
For the same overpriced $135.USD Admore includes turn signals where Skene adds $21 for that "feature", but Skene includes a tail "flicker" on the running lights, though Skene only has 24 LEDs to Admore's 81 LEDs. At $185 Skene gives you an accelerometer that detects engine braking, but while Admore charges $200 for this, theirs becomes programmable and adds a few continually flashing LEDs while braking that I think add visibility.
For the AT crowd, the Admore may be difficult to mount.

Note to Admore,
Plz offer the added features of the "smart brake" but without the actual accelerometer part and save $$$
Also, allow us to program a minimum repeat time so these don't annoy people behind in stop/go traffic

Admore https://www.admorelighting.com/product/admore-smt-light-bar-small/
Skene https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Rear-Visibility-Systems-c22720602

Of course Hyperlites have been around a long time and are half price of these competitors.

Lots of money for a blinky brake light, though far more valuable than a most of the farkles out there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So adding one little LED to a front turn will draw too much current and throw a fault?
Not adding; replacing the stock incandescent blinkers with LEDs will result in an overall drop in load that will cause them to hyperflash.
Is this monitoring only on the turn signals?
As far as I have found, yes.
Adding the Backoff or Admore to the brake/tail won't throw a fault?
No.
What if I wire a remote turn on to the high beam for the Skene dimmer, would that throw a fault?
Not sure what you mean.
Btw Admore also functions as running light as claimed on their website.
Yes, I guess it does. Bonus!
For the AT crowd, the Admore may be difficult to mount.
It was very easy to mount to the bottom of the license plate frame (use a frame to avoid having the extra weight cause fatigue cracking in your plate). Running the cable required some though. I used some VHB adhesive cable tie mounts and drilled a small hole in the upper fender/passenger seat pan. You do need to use wire taps to access the turn signal and brake wires.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Note to Admore,
Plz offer the added features of the "smart brake" but without the actual accelerometer part and save $$$
Also, allow us to program a minimum repeat time so these don't annoy people behind in stop/go traffic
BikeVis also have a rear brake light modulator with a feature so the cars behind don't get annoyed in heavy traffic, a good price too. They have a specific LED light version suitable for the AT. (£31 but currently out of stock) https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-led-brake-light-modulator/

text from the product page.....

In normal use the modulator holds your brake light LEDs at 33%, this can add to the rear visibility of your motorcycle in normal use depending on your bikes light set-up.

When you apply the brake the modulator turns on your brake lights for half a second then flashes the brake light 10 times a second for 1.5 seconds, finally then lighting them constantly.

The effect this has is to ensure cars travelling behind see you’re braking, which is often a cause of accidents. (I myself have once been ‘pushed’ into oncoming traffic at a junction)

If you re-apply your brake within 5 seconds your Brake Lights work as normal to avoid annoying other road users in heavy traffic.

Though there are many of these units on the market most are sold for use on both normal filament bulbs and LEDs, and because of this design they do not take advantage of the LEDs used on modern motorcycles (extremely fast switching rates possible)
The BikeVis LED Brake Modulator is unique in this respect and produces an effect that none other can. I would not ride without one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eltel62

Bikevis sure get my vote for fair priced and well thought accessories. The bullet lights offer great mounting options, though I'd like to compare effectiveness to other options. Wide beam LED for visibility is a great idea, though the tiny bullets don't light much surface area. With the Skene dimmed driving light option I get in your face LEDs and a larger lit surface area. Notice how the headlights in the videos seem more noticeable that the bullets, maybe it's the video. I honestly just want the most visible system regardless of cost, my life should be worth the cost of any other farkle.

ablock,
thanks for addressing my questions.

It seems I was not crystal clear that I have a euro spec OEM LED bike, which I meant to imply by asking if anyone had combined the front/rear LED turn signals to either the front or rear output leads, (there is one output for each corner on LED bikes). So your replies are in reference to the models with incandescent bulbs; can anyone chime in with regard to adding lights to the LED bikes? Can additional lights or relays be added to any of the existing light outputs without throwing a fault code? (headlight hi/low, turn signals, tail, brake, number plate light).

Bikes have always been at a disadvantage with smaller size and less total lights; now with new cars adding super bright LEDs as standard equipment we seem poised to get completely lost in mix.
I don't want to ever be in an accident with a driver claiming they didn't see me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I fitted a couple of BikeVis Bullet lights to my FZS1000......total waste of money/effort IMO. When you're up close and admiring your work, you think you've done a smart move. But from a distance, which is the effect we're hoping for, they're too small to really catch the eye of other road users.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fitted a couple of BikeVis Bullet lights to my FZS1000......total waste of money/effort IMO. When you're up close and admiring your work, you think you've done a smart move. But from a distance, which is the effect we're hoping for, they're too small to really catch the eye of other road users.
Thank you Davy,
Looking at photos on their own site the lights aren't the first thing you notice, I think because of their size. Maybe these are more for bikes with poor lighting to give them "something" at least. I see Bikevis also have 8 LED "mini light pods" which look the part.
Something is needed for all our bikes!
I read a great article that explained our low beam daytime running lights are inadequate as by design they cut off below a driver's eye and fail to catch attention. Of course during daylight one can run hi beams, but that means at night and dusk you blend with the crowd. Also one single light is not considered effective and makes it hard for others to determine our speed, hence why cars often pull out in front of us.
Again since cars are being equipped with those super bringht LED running lights, I think we all should up our game further.
Why do car makers add daytime running lights to cars with two big headlamps and amber markers while motorcycle manufacturers give us only a single headlamp in most applications?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've bought these LED lights and the Honda fog light switch assembly to bring some light to the party. Hopefully I'll have them fitted this week if I can find time in my busy schedule. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking of adding some of those flexible LED strips for visibility.
Could someone measure the length of the headlight assembly as shown by the white line in this photo.
I'm in camp and would like to order something for my return.
The stripe already looks like angry eyebrows in the daytime anyway ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, not big I agree, probably more useful for night use. Did you use the modulator at all? Perhaps the modulator with the full size cree v3 lights, these are excellent for long distance visibility (like most larger spot/fogs) even without the modulators.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts