Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a couple of Motion Pro Bead Buddy IIs. They clearly will not fit the rear rim and the front looks iffy. I've had to chase the tire bead around the rim when changing the rear and it sucks. Anyone have an alternative to the BB they can recommend that fits our wheels?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to know about the fit issue. I was thinking of getting the Bead Buddy II. I managed to change tubes and tires with only the longer BeadPro FS levers. It wasn't pleasant, but it was doable. I'll keep an eye out on this thread since I had hope that the Bead Buddy IIs would make it easier.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It works as designed for the front wheel but it is too short to fit over a spoke on the wide rear. I use a tie wrap to attach it to a rear spoke. Not as convenient and it does not push the bead down on the rear as far as I would like but still better than not using it. Maybe they will come out with a larger one for wide rims. Bead Buddy also makes a different design model that attaches with a thumb screw clamp. I never tried one but it may be the ticket for the rear. Anybody who has one of these, let us know.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bead Buddy also makes a different design model that attaches with a thumb screw clamp. I never tried one but it may be the ticket for the rear. Anybody who has one of these, let us know.
Yes, Jenny Morgan (of Rally Raid CB500X fame) used one of the "Trail Bead Buddies" in

The reports on that version are that the delrin screw strips out easily, but it might still be worth trying.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have the original bead buddy, but it never seems to fit any of the wheels I've tried it on. I just use three levers and contort my body in such a way that a knee and a forearm are holding down 2 of them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've never used one. Sometimes I have to use three levers but most of the time I just pop the tires off and on and the bead behaves for me. I use very little lube on them usually I have just a bit of dawn dish soap mixed with a lot of water. I carry 3 levers around because they each have a different size closed wrench on the end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The method I use when putting the tire back on I keep the bead in the drop well with my bony knees and start on the other side. When I get near the knees I spin the tire around and keep the other side in the well the same way. To break the bead I carry a 15" tire spoon I got from Harbor Freight that has a removable handle that shortens its length to about 10" making easily stored. It works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts