Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had the bike from new a few weeks but what was clear from the first mile was the standard spring was made of spaghetti,i had it on the max of 35 clicks and the rear sunk so bad 2 up I could not get the sidestand down,so took off the shock yesterday and went to the experts at KTECH [they do all the BSB bikes]they had 3 weights of spring,fitted the beefiest one while I waited at no extra charge,the spring is half as thick again against the standard,went home put it on the bike,turned the preload down to 5 clicks,put the mrs on the back only goes down an inch,absolutely perfect and what should have been up to the job as standard,iv'e had 650cc bikes where iv'e never needed to adjust the shock,but really pleased,all for £85 where an ohlins shock would be a £1000.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
K-tech make rear springs for the CRF1000 shock in 4 strengths, 95, 100, 110 and 120 N/mm, would you be able to report which one you went for and what is your weight?

For information, the Ohlins HO646 shock for the CRF1000 comes with a 95 N/mm spring while there also is an optional 105 N/mm one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a feeling the "dirt bike" heritage has followed this bike down to the standard spring weights. My CRF450X came stock for a guy that is 160 to maybe 200 lbs. I tip the scales at 250 and the spring and valves were so soft that I had to have the spring and valving changed. I have not picked my bike up yet but I am suspecting I will have to do the same. Its only money right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
REar spring

Set on to fit KTECH heavy duty rear spring and spacer to drop rear, couldnt compress spring enough to fit spacer because the spring is so strong. So anyone needing a spacer and spring clamps i have them spare. Also if you are uprating rear spring its best to remove rear wheel,two rubber grommets in swing arm and rectifier thingy to get the new one in.Took me 2hrs and quite a lot of cursing but feels more stable 2 up.Still have to set up suspensions as front feels too soft now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my AT DCT for about a year now & yet to find a suspension setup the way I like it. I figured the OEM springs used on both front/rear were too soft. I'm no 'pro' off-road but been riding quite a few years on various bikes to know how I like my suspension. I'm understand the 'general' function of the OEM suspension (front & rear) are good, just needs help. So, instead of swapping out shocks & converting to cartiridge fork replacements that cost arm & a leg, would swapping out the front/rear springs make noticable difference? I just can't justify the super component upgrades at my current skill level. I would appreciate any feedback to determine which way I want to go. Thanks guys... k58

1 - 7 of 7 Posts