Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears
What type of tire 50/50 you recommend and do not produce noise or vibration and be long life?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You cant go wrong with the TKC80 or the cheaper Shinko E804/805.
As far as noise they aren't bad at all and if your getting vibration your tires aren't balanced correctly.
I went with the Motoz tractionator Rallz. Rides very well on and off road. No vibration cruising at 80mph. Dont really know about the mileage yet. But I'm more concerned about off road performance. The previous tires were gonna get me hurt off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heidenau K-60, front and rear. I prefer 'em, used them on my V-Strom and now my AT. I like the very stiff sidewalls they offer ..... increased protection from sidewall punctures and l believe they are less prone to separation from the rim in a rapid deflation scenario (important when running front rim converted to tubeless).

Cons ....... they are pricey and some consider them slippery in rain. Not an issue for me, I just slow down in the rain. Some complain of the noise as they age, but all aggressive style treads are noisy, in my opinion. No biggie,I wear earplugs.

Pros....... you get what you pay for. I get many miles out of these tires. They also accept tire plugs very well.

Just My $0.02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heideneau Scout K60 my oppinion best mixte tyre long lasting 9000km plus on the back Nice on road even high speed in Germany or off road.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I see the tire on the side is a Pirelli MT90. Did you like that one?
Looks like a good 80/20 or 70/30 tire.

As far as noise they aren't bad at all and if your getting vibration your tires aren't balanced correctly.
I went with the Motoz tractionator Rallz. Rides very well on and off road. No vibration cruising at 80mph. Dont really know about the mileage yet. But I'm more concerned about off road performance. The previous tires were gonna get me hurt off road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
have a question on tires/tubes/balance and beads i'm new to this adv bike thing i have always rode a street bike and for the last 7 years i have had a goldwing i just picked up my left over 2017 AT with 2 miles on it . on my wing when i change my tires i always use balancing beads the tires do not have tubes, now with this AT which has tubes has anyone used beads in the tubes? is there a reason that wouldnt work ? just curious.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just today I also installed a set of Motoz Rallz. But those are not 50/50 tires, the focus is still much more on offroad. However, they are much more quiet on pavement than the Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires I had on my AT before I tried the Motoz. (mus say those Scorpion tires were fantastic in the desert/sand, hope the Motoz will be able to offer a similar performance)

BTW, I also had a set of Shinko 804/805, they were great on pavement, BUT horrible in deeps sand. Really scary, even the Dunlop OEM tires I had on my AT never felt that dangerous in the sand

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just today I also installed a set of Motoz Rallz. But those are not 50/50 tires, the focus is still much more on offroad. However, they are much more quiet on pavement than the Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires I had on my AT before I tried the Motoz. (mus say those Scorpion tires were fantastic in the desert/sand, hope the Motoz will be able to offer a similar performance)

BTW, I also had a set of Shinko 804/805, they were great on pavement, BUT horrible in deeps sand. Really scary, even the Dunlop OEM tires I had on my AT never felt that dangerous in the sand

I also just put on a set of Motoz RallZ's and am surprised how quiet they are for a 90/10. They are very stable at speed on the pavement and excellent on the dirt. I just swapped out a set of Pirelli Rallye STRs for an outback ride and the STR's are fantastic on paved roads but feel a little vulnerable for anything off road with rocks. The RallZ's also seem quieter than the Tractionator GPS's I had.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A few people advocate Mitas MT-07+ on the back for longevity and cost reasons, Conti TKC80 on the front for great off-road performance with acceptable wet tarseal grip.
Totally agree. Other options for the front similar to the Conti is the Mitas E-09 Dakar and the GT-723.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also just put on a set of Motoz RallZ's and am surprised how quiet they are for a 90/10. They are very stable at speed on the pavement and excellent on the dirt. I just swapped out a set of Pirelli Rallye STRs for an outback ride and the STR's are fantastic on paved roads but feel a little vulnerable for anything off road with rocks. The RallZ's also seem quieter than the Tractionator GPS's I had.
Are the Motoz RallZ's a 90/10 tire?

·
Registered
30 Posts
MItas E-07 on Front and Mitas E-07+ on the back

9,00km and around 75% used up New set in the garage and will put them on this summer before a trip

Really impressed with the grip both on and off road A group I ride with all use them on BMW, KTM and the AT

Thumbs up
?

Birdman

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mitas E-07's front and rear (Dakar version). Good on-road and off-road compromise. Very happy with them for on and off road (unmade roads) and will fit the same when the time comes. My mate on his BMW 1250GS also uses them and think they'll great all round 50/50's. He commutes to work on black top quite a bit and says they are wearing well. He also likes the grip in the wet on roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently using TKC80s and from a riding perspective, they work well both on and off road. The big problem with them is the rear was completely gone after 2,000 km and they are expensive. A mate has them on a 1090 R and the rear lasted even less, about 1,700 km. He replaced front and rear with Karoo 3 and likes them and they are wearing better than the TKCs but not hugely better. He reckons 2,500 or 3,000 km tops.

I found a sellout on Mefo tyres by the importer in Australia and got a front (Explorer) and 2 rears (Super Explorer) for $340 AUD. Tyres in Australia are expensive so this is ridiculously cheap. I haven't ridden on them yet but reports seem reasonable. The front doesn't look overly inspiring for offroad but the rear looks okay. The front TKC is still in good condition so I will leave it on and pair it up with a Super Explorer rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts