Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just found this forum and was looking for some advice on what helmet to purchase, really fancie one with built in sun visor, love my tour x4 but 5 years old now.
Tony

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do NOT buy the Scorpion EXO-AT950! I thought this helmet might be the holy grail, especially with the modular design and drop down sun shade. If you can view the helmet from the side view at the web page below, you can see that the visor is up so high it doesn't do any good. Basically with the helmet on your head the visor extends maybe 1/4", or less than a centimeter, into your field of view. It needs to extend at least a full inch if not 1.5 or about three centimeters to do any real good. The Shuberth E-1, albeit at three times the cost, has a visor that is adjustable to three positions. I may buy one in the Spring time.

I never thought to test the location of the visor and just bought the Scorpion after a fit test. Now I know what to look for and wanted to pass that information along.

http://scorpionusa.com/products/helmets/street-helmets/exoat950/exo-at950-neocon.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do NOT buy the Scorpion EXO-AT950! I thought this helmet might be the holy grail, especially with the modular design and drop down sun shade. If you can view the helmet from the side view at the web page below, you can see that the visor is up so high it doesn't do any good. Basically with the helmet on your head the visor extends maybe 1/4", or less than a centimeter, into your field of view. It needs to extend at least a full inch if not 1.5 or about three centimeters to do any real good. The Shuberth E-1, albeit at three times the cost, has a visor that is adjustable to three positions. I may buy one in the Spring time.
I regularly attend the major dealer trade shows and always try on the new helmets. The only Dualsport helmet I've ever put on that has a real functioning sun visor is the Arai. I don't recall having tried the Shuberth but if I had and it had a useful visor I would remember. Every other helmet visor (adjustable or not) does not come down far enough block any sun. All those helmet companies just stick the visor on as a visual cue that it is a dualsport helmet. I'm not a big fan of the Arai. It's a PITA to remove the face shield for cleaning but as far as I've found it's the only one with a useful visor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an Arai and can concur the visor does work well. I also have the AFX FX-41 and have used it extensively. That visor also functions just fine. While I have not ridden with a Shuberth E-1, the visor has three positions and I could clearly see the visor will also work as it should when I tried it on at the dealer.

NC

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a Caberg Tourmax and a Schuberth E1. Both great helmets, the Tourmax is legal to ride flipped up too, with the E1 isn't. The peak angle isn't adjustable on the Tourmax but for me it's in the perfect position. The peak is adjustable on the E1 but it vibrates, which the Tourmax doesn't. In my eyes the E1 is not worth 3 times the cost of the Tourmax.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an arai signet q with the proshade and it works pretty good ,I like the helmet it is fairly comfortable once I removed some of the cheek. padding to fit my face better,it has lots of venting ,there is a bit of wind noise at highway speeds though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Best? Best what?

I found the schuberth E1 to be an exceptional helmet. Quiet, built in sun shade, plenty of adjustments and one of the best quality helmets I've ever owned and I've been an Arai guy nearly my whole life.

·
Registered
154 Posts
LOL. Well, shucks, I just bought a Scorpion AT950 this week. Cant comment much yet, as have not ridden with it yet. But, I have worn it around the house, inviting smart remarks from the wife......!
It gets a lot of good reviews. However one review I read said the partial open detents for the shield put the edge of shield in line of sight. I do not find that to be true. I hope the sun shade is useful, will know soon.
I do know that the 3xl fits perfect for my 61mm head, and that is hard to fit. (It takes a long oval head shape to contain this brilliant brain.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Hawk modular helmet with Bluetooth. The price was right and it looks good and has a great hidden drop down sun shield but it is a noisy helmet. It shrieks and whistles in the wind drowning out any sound from the speakers. The quality is okay (just barely) but the clear face shield is difficult to open when wearing gloves. I'm definitely looking for a new helmet also so I want to hear how others feel about their helmets. After suffering the Hawk I'm willing to spend a lot more for a good helmet. ... and I don't want another all black helmet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the klim krios this year. Did fine for dual sport and cross countrying, never left anything serious to be desired. Hard to clean bugs and mud out of the front mesh and the rear spoiler vent. A little hot for off-road speeds under 30km/h but I suspect would be the same for most dual sport helmets. On the road of course it's plenty cool enough. I like that I can just flip the faceshield up and put mx goggles on for the trails, this is the best way to keep cool on the trails and maintain use of your eyes. The visor is functional. I noticed on the one day that I removed it for a days riding in 80km/h winds across the prairies, the sun was bugging me because I was used to it being shaded. It works surprisingly well on bikes with no windshield because of the aerodynamic design. It is a pricey rig but not as bad as something like say the Shuberth E1.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I rode today with the Scorpion AT950 and still think it is a keeper. I found that the visor does not provide shade from the sun very well, as stated in previous posts, when the sun is below about 30 degrees or so. If the sun is up above 30 degrees, by pushing peak down, it sort of can help with sun in eyes. However, I did not buy the helmet thinking it was going to act like the bill on a cap and provide shade much. I am very happy with the fit, comfort, much less breeze than my Nolan N44, and quieter by far than the Nolan. I know they are different types of helmets, and this is my first modular, and my first helmet that even resembles a full face style.
I took the visor peak off, for the last 6 or 8 miles home, and think I will just leave it off. It was windy today, and the wind would shake my head around some, especially near 18 wheelers turbulence. With the visor off, it slices thru the air more cleanly and smoothly. I am not saying the visor was extremely bad, just that it is smoother with it off. Tomorro hope to ride some more with it, without the visor and see how it works out.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love my Scorpion EXO-AT950!
Bought a second one as a spare. Its held up very well on some hard rides pulling double duty dirt and street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts