Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for getting into this topic again... So is there some general consensus, which windscreen works best for reducing turbulence and noise around the helmet? I am 5'10", seat in low position. I do not want to go into any "exotic" stuff and living in Canada the online shopping options are rather limited anyway.
Looking at TwistedThrottle.ca there are few options with free shipping: MRA touring screen, MRA vario touring screen, Givi D1144ST and Givi AF1144 are the screens I would consider. I used to have the Givi Airflow on my VStrom in the past and it was very good...?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I skipped an aftermarket windscreen and use the batzen adapter with the OEM screen. I am your height and the extra 2-3 inches made all the difference for me. It's cheaper than a new windscreen and I have all the adjustability I could want.
My inseam is 33" and I sit in the high position, so our heads are probably at a similar height.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am 5 ft 10 with an inseam of 31 inches and tried 4 different screens combined with top deflectors, fork deflectors and risers. None worked for me except the Madstad 20 inch screen. I use the seat in the high position (largely because it's so difficult to locate it in the low position)
Mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am two inches taller than you and use the seat in the normal position. I do rate the mra vario as a very good solution at a reasonable price. I can't say it is the best screen as it is the only one I have tried (apart from stock) I do still just get clipped with some air on the top two inches of my helmet which you may avoid altogether at your height. You won't be looking through it though as it is not much taller than stock. I put some pics up of mine next to stock as have others on the forum. It is worth trying the different positions of the "vario" part of the screen, I have found it better in the lower position as it happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

Well, I ended up answering my question myself – by trial and error. First I need to say that the OEM screen does pretty good job for such a small piece of a plexiglass, evidently Honda did their homework and test work right. My progress to an improvement, less noise and turbulence around the helmet, was a 3 steps process.
Step 1 was the screen extension/deflector from AliXpress, see in the picture. Actually it was doing pretty good job, however, even in its lowest position, it was sitting too high for my taste and the attachment bracket was distractingly right in my line of sight.
Step 2 was the Givi Airflow AF1144 screen. After loving this screen on my Vstrom 650 in the past, on the Africa Twin it was a huge disappointment. Even in its lowest position, I could barely see over the screen, the brackets holding the moveable screen should have been positioned at least 2” lower. While the screen reduced the wind noise, it brought a terrible buffeting on the helmet. With my open face helmet I had completely blurred vision at speed over 90 km/h, with my modular full face helmet it was better, but still annoying. Luckily, I was able to return the Givi for a full refund.
Step 3 was finally a success – MRA X-Creen Sport. The version I purchased on Amazon.ca had both the clamps and bolt on attachment system. I first used the clamps just to try how it works (see pictures), but today I bolted it on as it is much more elegant and lighter attachment way. Substantially reduced noise (I can use my open face helmet without earplugs) and no helmet buffeting/turbulence at all. The lower edge of the X-Creen has the same curvature as the top of the OEM windshield and you can position it that from riders view it looks like a natural extension of the OEM windshield. BTW, the attachment/adjustment system of the X-Creen is very solid and well thought through a true proof of German engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I ended up answering my question myself – by trial and error. First I need to say that the OEM screen does pretty good job for such a small piece of a plexiglass, evidently Honda did their homework and test work right. My progress to an improvement, less noise and turbulence around the helmet, was a 3 steps process.
Step 1 was the screen extension/deflector from AliXpress, see in the picture. Actually it was doing pretty good job, however, even in its lowest position, it was sitting too high for my taste and the attachment bracket was distractingly right in my line of sight.
Step 2 was the Givi Airflow AF1144 screen. After loving this screen on my Vstrom 650 in the past, on the Africa Twin it was a huge disappointment. Even in its lowest position, I could barely see over the screen, the brackets holding the moveable screen should have been positioned at least 2” lower. While the screen reduced the wind noise, it brought a terrible buffeting on the helmet. With my open face helmet I had completely blurred vision at speed over 90 km/h, with my modular full face helmet it was better, but still annoying. Luckily, I was able to return the Givi for a full refund.
Step 3 was finally a success – MRA X-Creen Sport. The version I purchased on Amazon.ca had both the clamps and bolt on attachment system. I first used the clamps just to try how it works (see pictures), but today I bolted it on as it is much more elegant and lighter attachment way. Substantially reduced noise (I can use my open face helmet without earplugs) and no helmet buffeting/turbulence at all. The lower edge of the X-Creen has the same curvature as the top of the OEM windshield and you can position it that from riders view it looks like a natural extension of the OEM windshield. BTW, the attachment/adjustment system of the X-Creen is very solid and well thought through a true proof of German engineering.
Hi could You send PARTNUMBER witch exactly model of MRA deflector You bought? Because I would like to bye the same IS this that model?
https://www.mrashop.de/com/universal-screens/x-creen-part-xcsa-xcta-/x-creen-sport-part-xcsa-/5898/x-creen-sport-aufsatz-x-creen-sport-part-xcsa-all-years?c=90003930

I also find touring model
https://www.mrashop.de/com/selection-by-model/aprilia/atlantic-125200250300/bj-03-/5844/x-creen-touring-aufsatz-x-creen-touring-part-xcta-all-years?c=90003930

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm 5"7 and seat in low position. Yes the original screen does a good job. But a lot of updraft into my helmet, a lot of blast onto my shoulders and riding with a a visor up causes dry eyes. Not really what I am after. I installed a swegotech updraft thingy and have used it with all my screens so far. Cant say it helps at all, or not enough. I still get rain in my visor (when its closed) from the updraft so I honestly don't think its a solution. Granted my helmet isn't a visor'ed one but going to my summer open face is not something I am looking forward to. So I got a national cycle v stream medium. It looks great, but just too tall and sits in my eyeline, so that came off. It also collected the mirrors, so had to adjust handguard position etc .

Next I tried a cheapo (£20) screen deflector. That worked awesome on the original screen, but it kept coming loose. So I bought a puig screen deflector and that works ok.. Looks better than the cheapo but it actually stands more proud than the cheapo and I think the cheapo did a better job. I still get a massive updraft and buffeting on the shoulder. As soon as I sell the V Stream I am going to try the MRA Vario. I just can't get comfy without being able to lift my visor, getting my bloody chin soaked on every ride. The air management on this AT is a real downer for me. It rides awesome, is unusual but just not a tourer IMHO

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the MRA Vario screen and it's alot better than the stock screen. I am 5.8 and the stock screen used to create quite a bit of noise and shook my head very slightly at speed. I guess it all depends on the helmet you wear but the MRA works for me. One thing regarding the givi airflow screens is that they can be very hot behind them and i didn't like the fact that it reduced the cool air from my helmet and body.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The main problem I have with the tall screen is peak vibrations. My head rattles many times per second and then I get a monstrous headache when I go to bed after the ride.

I switched back to the stock screen yesterday and went for a ride, and although I have more buffeting, there is no peak vibration. If I put my hand above the stock screen the ride is silent as if I was riding on the moon.

So, I ordered the X-Creen sport and will attach it to the stock screen to see if I get the same effect as with my hand. Once I try it I will report back here.

FYI I am 6'2 with a 32" inseam

·
Registered
147 Posts
Once again.

1. Get Swegotech forkshield or make your own copy.
2. Get Batzen screen adjuster.
3. Get Vstream Sport/Tour screen, N20058.

Period for buffeting. I'm same size, 6' 2"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Once again.

1. Get Swegotech forkshield or make your own copy.
2. Get Batzen screen adjuster.
3. Get Vstream Sport/Tour screen, N20058.

Period for buffeting. I'm same size, 6' 2"
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately wind management is very unique per rider. Body shape, riding position, gear (jacker & helmet), sag, and other conditions can influence it.

Before the AT, I had a CB500X and after a lot of iterations and money spent I found a solution. I shared my solution on the forums and it did not work at all for some people. My solution for the 500X was using some brackets (similar to the batzen) and the Givi screen. Unfortunately it did not look good at all.

For the AT I want to solve the issue and still have it look as stock as possible. So I am playing a lot with cardboard and tape. I have tried covering the fork area and it reduced buffeting, but not by much. I also simulated the wind deflectors that Honda sells (the transparent ones next to the windscreen), and those make a huge different for buffeting, even more than covering the fork area. However it did not stop the peak vibration.

To be clear, I don't have much issue with buffeting, my issue are high frequency peak vibrations. I have not simulated the X-Creen yet with cardboard, but using my hand is what made the biggest difference by far. Also, the X-Creen is praised by many people in advrider on a huge variety of bikes. It doesn't look stock at all, but I would only use it on long trips since it is easy to take off.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and I will definitely take the batzen bracket into account (if the X-Creen fails) since it has been praised by many members in the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Windscreen alternatives

I have ordered and received the "high" Honda screen and the Batzen screen adjustment kit. Will try them out and report back when the bike arrives in July. Not sure why it's taking so long for the '18 models to get to the USA, but that's life. Will also be picking up a pair of Motoz Tractionator GPS tires. Have heard nothing but good about them. With plans to do a lot of gravel and dirt in New England, I didn't want to take a chance on the stock Dunlop's. Another product I plan to purchase will be the Outback Motortek integrated bash plat and full engine/upper guard system. I like their minimalist, compact design and the owner's a really nice fellow named Lorry Gombos who actually answers questions. Check out his field test...it's pretty impressive.
Larry

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sometimes for taller riders the solution is the shortests windscreens. I find that even airflow is more comfortable than buffeting right in the helmet.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Ditto
I had the Airflow on my DL650ABS 2013 (the pretty one) and it was fantastic
And it worked very well on my Tiger800XC

So, I decided to get one for the HAT, like you do
I had exactly the same problem as you, a violent head wobble thing over 55mph-ish, so disappointed
One thing I noticed was the DL650 one had some extra screen at the sides (can't think of any other way to describe)
The HAT one does not have that, and I agree it is too high

I have since put on the Palmer Products kit and this is better but there seems to be a small amout of turbulence at the sides
Am experimenting with handguards and mirrors now
Removing the HG's seems to help
Have now replaced the HG's with some old ones I had from the Triumph Explorer
Have yet to test

I have noticed that the Madstad which seems very popular is wider than most other solutions

·
Registered
147 Posts
1. Forkshield
2. Batzen screen adjuster
3. V-Stream Sport/Touring -screen, no buffeting, good weather protection for <190 cm rider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts