Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Its tyre changing time . Any recommendations. Basically going to be riding on road with the odd off road/green laning.

Thoughts please

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had Metzler Tourance on an XT1200 that looked good and worked well in wet and dry conditions.
The tyres I currently have on my ATAS are Pirelli Scorpion Str. They look fairly aggressive but handle really well on the road. I think they improved the look of the bike and I have more confidence on the road and off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are you rich or poor ? I'm poor, any Shinko does me right. 705, 700, 244. Money? TRACTIONATOR

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Continental Trail Attack 3 is a great tire is you are looking for a 90/10 type. They warm up fast and have excellent grip on dry and wet.

If you are looking for something a little more aggressive the Pirelli Scorpion MT90 AT could be a good choice for you in the 80/20-ish category.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a scorpion trail ii on my previous bike. The best tyre i have ever had on road. Off road it’s ok if the road is hard packed but confidence diminishes quickly.
Currently running on tkc70 seems a good trade off between on and off road except for the front tyre that is cupped badly after 1500 kms in the Alps. The dealer told me I should be not that enthusiastic in bends as it results in uneven tyre wear due to hard braking and cornering. He also said all tyres do that. Oops. I have bever experienced it anyway only with this one.
So I am trying after careful research a pair of anakee adventure, mitas 07 or go back to scorpion trail ii.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am going for A41 on the new bike and not the dunlops

Will get a bit more adventurous when get more used to the bike for next year

Changed my mind lol

Dealer has not changed the std tyres yet, so going with Scorpion Trail 2 rather than A41s, hope I have made a good decision

As earlier, its a brand new bike and will be mostly road and a few blood runner trips on boring fast roads, so lets see.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi guys
Its tyre changing time . Any recommendations. Basically going to be riding on road with the odd off road/green laning. Thoughts please
No location in your info. What's a green lane?
Is your occasional off-road a proper maintained gravel road? A forest service road subject to washouts? Double track / jeep trail? Quad track? Single track?
Mud? Roots? Wet? sand?
Just mount some TKC80's and go ride anywhere. Seriously rail through paved corners. Grunt through mud. Front gives newbies and occasional off-roaders confidence near everywhere.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Green lane is two track side roads. I think the Mitas E07 is the best compromise tire out there. Rides like a sport touring tire on the road and is really good on gravel and trails. Lasts a really long time (15,000 front / still going on the rear 17,000 kilometres).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have Continental Trail Attack 2,s.bought on forum recommendation for cold and very wet weather.Changed pen,s straight away b4 I left dealership.Im on 10,000 km,all roads both good and bad.think I could hv another 5k left.Recieving my Stainless Steel wheels tomorrow and Honda dealer says I shd Change new tyres and tubes at same time?????.Just wondering what the newer Continental Trail Atfack 3,s are like and how good they are all year round.Also shd I change to new types????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts