Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wanted to fit a kickstand extender.All the usual sites were asking approx £35. Being a tight fisted Jock who would rather part wi blood than money I opted for a part from China for £12. After 5 weeks it arrived. Firstly the base was plastic, secondly the allan key they sent didnt fit the securing bolts, and thirdly after fitting the part it was loose with a fair bit of play. The valuation notice for the customs stated that the package was worth $3. not velly funny eh?::I must say the A/T dct is a jolly good bike,but thank god its no made in China. I will now wait to enjoy all the posts extolling the virtues of chinese goods . Cheely oh.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought the eBay version. I placed a large O ring between the stand foot and extender and carefully tightened it up evenly and have had no problem. How can the real cost of some of the add on feet be in the region of £50. Just a rip off. You are basically looking at a stand puck on the end of the side stand. It does not really matter what it is made of as long as it holds tight and spreads the load, like the puck. All of the pucks I have ever had were made of plastic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The thing to think about as well is that even if you are buying more expensive brands is "where are these brands getting these products from". I bet you many of them are just sourcing parts and materials from these same factories that you brought this part from anyway. Just on this topic, has anyone brought anything directly from Alibaba or the "chinese ebay" as it's gets called. There are some really cheap led and wiring harnesses on there but I can't work out if you have to buy whole container loads or if it is possible to buy single items.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I bought a pair of short levers that are of Chinese origin. So far, so good. Seems well made and robust and even if they start to get a bit sloppy or loose over time, theyre cheap enough to replace again. I had been considering the sidestand extension the OP has bought....think I'll spend the extra dosh on the SW-Motech version.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A quick point to consider, Yes China has some cheep crap but, they also have some good stuff, you just got to pay more, just like any country of manufacture.
As usual you need to do some research and/or ask other consumers.
Happy Chinese Shopping.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Personally Dave I think you will be throwing money away as the cheapo version does just the same thing and has been fine in my AT so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought I'd take the plunge, for £12.99 delivered, and I'm happy with my purchase.
I bought the same one. The hex key was the wrong size, but I had the right size one at home. It is just as nice as the $50 one I had from a very well known German outfitter.

I will use the O-ring trick, thanks for that. I bought this one because I felt like an idiot when I bought the $50 one for my other bike. The Ebay Chinese one has been on a couple of BDR trips and works perfect for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought the eBay version. I placed a large O ring between the stand foot and extender and carefully tightened it up evenly and have had no problem. How can the real cost of some of the add on feet be in the region of £50. Just a rip off. You are basically looking at a stand puck on the end of the side stand. It does not really matter what it is made of as long as it holds tight and spreads the load, like the puck. All of the pucks I have ever had were made of plastic.
I put cycle tube inner between top of enlarger and stand, to stop any rattles or rubbing. The chepo e bay one is working fine. The one on my GS rubbed the paint off leabing revurring rust.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am too cheap.....but no Chinee for me: I carry several old gift cards in my topbox, and just slip one of those under the stand in soft stuff....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts