Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the factory "low" seat with the stock seat in the low position. Wow, much more comfortable.

I felt ok doing that, with gaining a little more confidence, as well as adding thicker soles to my boots. Life is grand. (5'6" 29" inseam.)

I also think I have gotten the stock suspension about where I want it, within it's limits of adjustability. I read Lee Park's book "Total Control" which I found helpful on how to set Sag, Compression dampening, and Rebound dampening.

I'm at about 200 lbs with gear, and saddle bags add to that, maybe another 30 lbs with frame, bags and junk I typically carry. Also have Heed Bunker crashbars and a heavier (Black Dog) bash plate on, plus barkbusters.

I find that rear preload needs to be at max, but I can get to 33% sag at rear when on the bike. I don't haul a passenger, so it will work until I want to spring for a spring and shock. Front dialed in to 33% sag, no problem with adjustment left over.

Set rebound on rear to come up from a hard bounce and "settle" of about 3/4", set front rebound to come up and stop, no setteling.

Have been fooling with compression settings on a washboard gravel road. I added about 6 clicks on the rear from the stock setting, may go a couple more. I added 3 (maybe 4) clicks on the front.

Rides great, bottoming on rear is gone on most bumps and whoop tee doos.

Cornering on the street is night and day different than when I rode it home with all the settings stock and the rear preload backed all the way off by a sales guy that wanted to help a short rider.

I suppose real suspension mods will be in the future, but just wanted to let new owners know that if you are "around" 200 lbs in gear with a little junk strapped on, you can still get a pretty good ride out of the stock suspension. A passenger would certainly spoil it, though!

·
Registered
106 Posts

Your findings are similar to the above thread although the OP is more stout (like me) than you are, the end result is about the same. Eventually he ended up changing the spring, though

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Your findings are similar to the above thread although the OP is more stout (like me) than you are, the end result is about the same. Eventually he ended up changing the spring, though
Yep, I think a new spring and likely shock, will be in the future. I would like to have the room to adjust preload for a little more weight and keep the sag correct. (Or I suppose I could just loose 30 lbs or so!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts