Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the bike seal puncture prevention , speaking to the guy on the stand at the Exel show in London last week he assured me it works in tubed tyres. I don't want it as a permanent repair but something to get me to a tyre company if I get a puncture touring in the alps etc as a tubed tyre isn't as easy to temporarily repair as a tubeless one without the hassle of removing the tyre. Or does anyone know of anything better that works

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyre manufacturers sadly recommend you buy a new everything

something anyone has tried successfully in a emergency for a tubeless tyre recommended or not

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone tried the bike seal puncture prevention , speaking to the guy on the stand at the Exel show in London last week he assured me it works in tubed tyres. I don't want it as a permanent repair but something to get me to a tyre company if I get a puncture touring in the alps etc as a tubed tyre isn't as easy to temporarily repair as a tubeless one without the hassle of removing the tyre. Or does anyone know of anything better that works
My last 2 summer trips have been blighted by punctures on tarmac with my AT Geddy Boy and i am thinking of using bike-seal as well :smile2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had slime in my off road bike tyres for a while, I think you need a good quality tube that has a high rubber content and the thicker the better.

I haven’t had a puncture since I have been using it so I can honestly say it has worked for me (by stopping punctures rather than fixing them:) but I hope that it will allow me to pull out a small nail or a thorn and get home (yes I have had thorn punctures in the past)

Obviously anything big is going to rip your tube and it’s game over then.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have had slime in my off road bike tyres for a while, I think you need a good quality tube that has a high rubber content and the thicker the better.

I haven’t had a puncture since I have been using it so I can honestly say it has worked for me (by stopping punctures rather than fixing them:) but I hope that it will allow me to pull out a small nail or a thorn and get home (yes I have had thorn punctures in the past)

I put slime in the 3 tubed tyres of my microlight (ultralight to you guys in the USA). If you get a puncture on take off you don't want to find you have a flat on landing. Must say the tyres never seemed to even lose any air for years, so it worked in that scenario. Also tyre fitters hate slime but of course it's no problem if its contained within an inner tube.
However - on the microlight it didn't matter if the tyres/wheels were out of balance, but on a bike is there not the danger that you will get a bad vibration caused by the stuff slopping about?
Mike

·
Registered
415 Posts

Never been able to get any of those liquid repairs to fix a puncture, all they have ever done is spray the entire back end of the bike with that crap. I have plugged some fairly big holes in tubless tires with plugs 7 is the most I have had to put in to one fix. They work fine and will definetly get you home, certainly will last several thousand km. I would replace the tire if its a big hole or if you have had to ride for a while while flat before you could fix. I have never had that much success with patches on Tubes they always seem to fail again after a few hours but thats just because I cant be frigged waiting around for an hour or two for them to set up right.
I know slime does not last that long, I used to use it as a lube in a TUBliss setup when running low pressures, after 6-9 months in a tire it had totally lost its ability to seal a hole of any size, It did help the balance of a tire though at moderate to higher speeds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scotsy

That's the issue I have I don't want to have a temp repair and leave it for ever as some may think

I just want a product that I can fix a small puncture on a tubed tyre on the road side to get me to my hotel or a garage or if nearer my home.

(I carry spare tubes and lightweight leavers and a micro electric pump in a tool box on my panniers but I don't want to take the wheel out on the side of the road)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scotsy

That's the issue I have I don't want to have a temp repair and leave it for ever as some may think

I just want a product that I can fix a small puncture on a tubed tyre on the road side to get me to my hotel or a garage or if nearer my home.

(I carry spare tubes and lightweight leavers and a micro electric pump in a tool box on my panniers but I don't want to take the wheel out on the side of the road)
Did you use it? How did you get on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts