Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Make sure traction control is switched fully off. and your insurance is up to date!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the manual version, and the traction control must be off for the bike to wheelie. While I am not a fan of wheelies for the **** of it, being able to raise the front wheel over obstacles offroad is a necessity. Just put it in first, blip and lift....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Idk whats on the front but that back sprocket looks pretty stock. I can wheelie mine no problem. I'm a wuss with it though, I can only pull it up, I won't hold it for a length of time. I can only pull up in first too...

·
Registered
163 Posts
The AT wheelies on road easy I got through a few gears on the back wheel trouble I had was seeing past the fairing. Off-road the best I can hope for is wheel spin and a light front end unless I have a bit of a rise in the track to help the front end lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
With less than half tank of fuel, the AT is easy to wheelie.
In first. 2nd is easy enough to get the wheel in the air, but to bring it up to balance the bikes weight really starts to show. Not that most really care to ride a wheelie controlled and balanced, and why would you in normal riding scenarios, but it was on my agenda from day 1 with the AT. I'll put up a vid soon. She's pretty docile compared to some other multi cylinder bikes i've played with, but still a pig to get up proper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really just not enough motor without a lot of work.

Power to weight ratio not the best on the AT package manual or DCT.

The DCT will wheelie but it doesn't like it and you have to turn every nanny off, manual mode, even then it doesn't like to shift manually to 2nd gear once front wheel is off the ground.

Go wheelie a dirt bike or a sport bike, both much easier.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No bikes to heavy to wheelie, its just comes down to the skill of the rider, plenty of people doing wheelies on long wheelbase Leadwings & monstrous Harleys, the AT is a light weight compared to them

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm no wheelie expert but I can get the front wheel up on my bike with *ease.* It was one of the checklist items after break-in and passed with flying colors!

I don’t ride long wheelies anymore, but it’s a breeze to get my manual ATAS to come up from a slow rolling start. It’s got *more than enough* power. Even with a full tank—and it doesn’t feel all that top heavy; but again, I’m not riding long wheelies and I don’t do fast roll wheelies like the embedded video above. I don’t have to pre-load the front end or do anything special but work the clutch and throttle and I’ve even popped them with traction control at my normal low setting, not off, but at 1 or 2. The bike has plenty of power.

But my ATAS is simply an amazing bike—it can do it all: when I'm practicing technical slow riding in parking lots, she feels for all the world, to me, like a torquey Police Motorcycle (in a cool way). When I'm slow riding steep hills in the dirt, she feels like a tractor (in a good way). When I pick up the pace on the open gently rolling trails she feels like a nimble rabbit. Tooling around side streets, she feels like a Harley or a cruiser sometimes. Out on the highway, at speed, she feels like a comfortable tourer. Maybe I’m just plain delusional, but happy to be so. She has more power than I’ll ever need, in all honesty, and plenty of torque. And she can pop a wheelie effortlessly.

My brother is a BMW fanatic—has several: everything from a vintage R80 GS to a 1200GS to a K1200 beast. I’ve ridden them all. And my cousin is a motorcycle mechanic and I've test ridden bikes with him for years. But none ever tickled my fancy anywhere near like the Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports has. Not. Even. Close.

Man, I cannot wait to get back out when it finally warms up here. My son just gave me his old GoPro Hero3+. It’s a few generations old, but shoots in up to 4k. Can’t wait to share some beautiful VA trails and countryside, and the occasional wheelie… hopefully soon.

Best, Gary

Ps. Here’s the same guy from OP’s link, Mira Lisy, showing his phenomenal skills on a stock Adventure Sports model. (I’d love to practice those “stoppies” if someone will lend me *their* ATAS for a couple of weeks)?

https://youtu.be/dKAN5IwQXsE
https://youtu.be/k0Mf9r3A9dk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts