Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put on some trail lights (cheap ones, but they work). Not sure about the blue halo cause they sent the wrong color, I was supposed to get white ones. But they are pretty bright and good enough for use as trail lights.. Just need to hook them up, now...

Attachments

Reactions: MrRobb

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that's a different place to put them. Definitely different.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now that's a different place to put them. Definitely different.

Did it on my old bike, tho the hand guards weren’t as sturdy and I had to custom bend some aluminum stock to reinforce the plastic behind it. The AT guards seem fairly sturdy, so hopefully I won’t have to do the same. But they work GREAT having lights mounted to the bars, for use in dark tight wooded tails at night, pulling U-turns on two tracks or narrow dirt roads. Off road in general, it’s really nice having a set of lights that are directional. I was going to make brackets that I could mount using the studs for the mirrors... But mounted where they are, the lights actually swing out in front of the fairing when at full turn, if I had mounted them at the mirror points they would of either hit the windscreen or at least the fairing would block the light...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I definitely see the advantages of having lights move with the handlebars, but the AT stock guards are garbage for anything but blocking wind. I don't think I've seen one drop where those survived.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely see the advantages of having lights move with the handlebars, but the AT stock guards are garbage for anything but blocking wind. I don't think I've seen one drop where those survived.
No worries, can’t remember the last time I busted a hand guard. But, most are pretty soft plastic and if I manage to bust one, it’s not like they are my main driving lights...

·
Registered
173 Posts
They must be pretty lightweight to put them there. I have many pairs of cheap Chinese $10 aux lights and they are actually pretty heavy. Don't think the AT plastic guard could hold em. Sometimes the brackets I make aren't strong enough. They are bright as shi* though and last a long time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did it on my old bike, tho the hand guards weren’t as sturdy and I had to custom bend some aluminum stock to reinforce the plastic behind it. The AT guards seem fairly sturdy, so hopefully I won’t have to do the same. But they work GREAT having lights mounted to the bars, for use in dark tight wooded tails at night, pulling U-turns on two tracks or narrow dirt roads. Off road in general, it’s really nice having a set of lights that are directional. I was going to make brackets that I could mount using the studs for the mirrors... But mounted where they are, the lights actually swing out in front of the fairing when at full turn, if I had mounted them at the mirror points they would of either hit the windscreen or at least the fairing would block the light...
You had the same idea as me. I too wanted lights that turn with the steering and placed as far out as possible, while still being protected. Only place to do this that's wider than the body are the handguards. Won't repeat it all but my solution is shown in the link below. Barkbusters bars with Acerbis LED handguards, connected via oem fog light switch to front connector. Works great and I use them on the road too when going through traffic, makes people see the bike is wide. If you ever have issues with yours or break an oem guard, try this.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/304517-post54.html

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They must be pretty lightweight to put them there. I have many pairs of cheap Chinese $10 aux lights and they are actually pretty heavy. Don't think the AT plastic guard could hold em. Sometimes the brackets I make aren't strong enough. They are bright as shi* though and last a long time.

These lights are 2.8”x2.4”x 2” thick and not heavy at all like 1/2lb. around 9oz. if I recall right. They would be like only 4 of the 6 LEDs on your lights and a bit thinner too. Watching them while cruising down the road they really don’t shake at all, but not that it matters I didn’t install them for the road anyway. But if I do decide to use them and they did shake to much I’d just reinforce the back of them with some aluminum stock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do I see that right, there are 3 pairs of lights in addition to the normal headlights?

Are you planning on setting fire to the road in front of you, or sending morse code signals to Mars?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I see that right, there are 3 pairs of lights in addition to the normal headlights?

Are you planning on setting fire to the road in front of you, or sending morse code signals to Mars?
Yea if I have everything on and you’re looking at me at night from a half mile away, it looks like Jesus is visiting... :grin2: it’s essentially day time in front of my bike at night...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts