Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the engine spitting back when slow manovering,Bike is a 2016/17 manual
I have been caught out a couple of times with blipping the throttle on tight U turns, engine spits back and stops and with feet up you either slap a foot down smartish or you lose the bike. I have dropped the bike twice through this in 2.5 yrs.
At 5ft 8 I am at full stretch with feet almost flat on ground so anything like the engine cutting out is a bit disconcerting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes I've had that happened quite a number of times even to the point where the bike has stalled. Have been told by the dealer and Honda that it has to do with the California State emissions package. Regarding low speed u-turns I suggest you try holding a steady/constant throttle and feather the power accordingly with the clutch. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know California has very strict emission regs, Be interesting to know how close the EU is to them.
It is a pain in the arse. I tend to Blip the throttle and feather the clutch, I have done it that way for years, I'm getting too old to change my habits. I still hit the indicater switch instead of the horn button when some **** cuts me up, Why did Honda swap their positions, I for the life of me don't see any benefit, nearly every other bike manufacturer has their horn button at the bottom.
Ok rant over!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happens on EU bikes too...
Almost got used to it still, but it catches me by surprise sometimes

Reactions: numbnuts57

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I have a 2018 manual and it does the same thing. Seems to be a common issue with this bike, as well as low-speed lurching. You can't ride this baby at low speed, smoothly, without feathering the clutch. I'm thinking both issues might be due to improper fuel mapping, but don't know if there is a fix for it yet.

Ride safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts