Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
I too came from a string of Boxers. Last year I was close to giving up motorcycling after 50 years riding. The ATAS has saved me from decline. I love riding this bike.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For me the R1200RT was just boring. It looked so drab. It was powerful, smooth, great wind protection, but it never did anything for me. Best features first here is what I like about my ATAS:
1. Long travel comfortable suspension. I can ride all roads
2. Comfortable
3. It fits me . I am 6 foot five and finally have a bike big enough
4. Lovely engine
5. Great high ride position. You can see over cars and hedges
4. It looks amazing. Some people say its too bling, bring on the bling I say

What do I not like:
1. Self cancelling indicators, cancel too soon
2. Wind protection not the best, as you would expect from my size and barn door aerodynamics of the bike
3. Tubed tyres, I have fitted Alpina tubeless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. Actually I still have my GS1200 2005 and I love the AT -- its what I ride the most. It took me some time to understand how to use the DCT properly and now that I have it figured out I love it. Its definitely a keeper. But occasionally I still go for the clutch and foot shifter. Old habits die hard.

Enjoy the new bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same here. Actually I still have my GS1200 2005 and I love the AT -- its what I ride the most. It took me some time to understand how to use the DCT properly and now that I have it figured out I love it. Its definitely a keeper. But occasionally I still go for the clutch and foot shifter. Old habits die hard.

Enjoy the new bike
How is the DCT for slow maneuvering? That is my one concern. (Don't pick my bike up until 6/14)

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is the DCT for slow maneuvering? That is my one concern. (Don't pick my bike up until 6/14)
So this is how I do it sometimes and this is why I say you need to train yourself to use the DCT. The GS has loads of torque -- It can lug around no problem. Combine that with the feed back from the dry clutch which can be feathered its IMO very controlable. The AT can be less controlable in certain situations. If your going up the effort needed for the engine to push the bike up a gradient keeps it more under control. However, if you are on a slight decline or flat in tight spaces I sometimes use the foot brake ever so slightly to give it enough drag so its more controlable.

My bike has a slight engagement when stopped. For example at a light it will ever so slightly want to creep forward. If you put it in N you can feel it release the forward push (like an AT on an automobile). Its more noticeable when the engine is cold. The oil hasn't had a chance to thin out.

Don't let that put you off. Its controlable but you need to make the mental shift. I was one of those guys who balked at the idea of a DCT bike but pretty much on a whim I bought it instead of the manual bike and I don't regret it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So this is how I do it sometimes and this is why I say you need to train yourself to use the DCT. The GS has loads of torque -- It can lug around no problem. Combine that with the feed back from the dry clutch which can be feathered its IMO very controlable. The AT can be less controlable in certain situations. If your going up the effort needed for the engine to push the bike up a gradient keeps it more under control. However, if you are on a slight decline or flat in tight spaces I sometimes use the foot brake ever so slightly to give it enough drag so its more controlable.

My bike has a slight engagement when stopped. For example at a light it will ever so slightly want to creep forward. If you put it in N you can feel it release the forward push (like an AT on an automobile). Its more noticeable when the engine is cold. The oil hasn't had a chance to thin out.

Don't let that put you off. Its controlable but you need to make the mental shift. I was one of those guys who balked at the idea of a DCT bike but pretty much on a whim I bought it instead of the manual bike and I don't regret it.
Irazu, Thanks for the feedback, just what I was looking for. I have desert property, with a small gravel pit, and plan to use the space to practice. I am very comfortable using the back brake to help control slow speed maneuvering, having owned 3 Goldwings over the years. I actually went into the dealership to look at a new Goldwing and when I saw the AT there and mentioned to the wife that I really wanted THAT, she said DO IT :smile2: I love dirt riding but also like to travel so I think the AT will fill both interests. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me the R1200RT was just boring. It looked so drab. It was powerful, smooth, great wind protection, but it never did anything for me. Best features first here is what I like about my ATAS:
1. Long travel comfortable suspension. I can ride all roads
2. Comfortable
3. It fits me . I am 6 foot five and finally have a bike big enough
4. Lovely engine
5. Great high ride position. You can see over cars and hedges
4. It looks amazing. Some people say its too bling, bring on the bling I say

What do I not like:
1. Self cancelling indicators, cancel too soon
2. Wind protection not the best, as you would expect from my size and barn door aerodynamics of the bike
3. Tubed tyres, I have fitted Alpina tubeless.
I worked for BMW for 24yrs, loved riding the bikes, had a feel of quality and ease of riding about them. I had Ninja’s etc at the time and similar, so a huge difference, but when I considered buying my own V’s the ATAS, I switched teams straight away, yet I’ve never owned a Honda. It was just something about the feel I had from ride away. It felt like it was my bike and it was all familiar to me, yeah it’s a weird one eh? It’s a do and go anywhere bike and great in town to throw around traffic and it’s powerful enough too. I came off a Suzuki M109, although kinda fun on the straights it was a barge in town and made so much noise it just screamed look at me, which is totally the opposite of my personality so I was reasonably happy to let go although I do miss the rebel in it sometimes. If money was no object I wouldn’t mind another but with standard pipes just for a late night cruise. Another bike well put together and shaft drive, nice.
Probably went off topic, but it’s Sunday morning, the coffees flowing and I into reading what catches my eye on the forum.. that’s what makes it what it is right.. 👍☕

·
Registered
2017 DCT
46 Posts
Yep, I have been a Beemer rider for years. 2001 650 Dakar, 2001 K1200LT, 2004 R1200RT, 2004 1150GS, a 2005 1200GS and then a 2014 G650GS Sertao. I really liked the 1200GS, until it started giving me electrical problems and then the tranny let go on a ride to Alaska and back. Replacing the 1200GS is a Honda VFR1200X and I love the bike. Replacing the Sertao is this AT-DCT.

I think I am forever done with BMW.

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Yep, I have been a Beemer rider for years. 2001 650 Dakar, 2001 K1200LT, 2004 R1200RT, 2004 1150GS, a 2005 1200GS and then a 2014 G650GS Sertao. I really liked the 1200GS, until it started giving me electrical problems and then the tranny let go on a ride to Alaska and back. Replacing the 1200GS is a Honda VFR1200X and I love the bike. Replacing the Sertao is this AT-DCT.

I think I am forever done with BMW.

That is a mighty run of Beemers 2004 to 2005. :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts