Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
F850 GS Adventure is out now.
Vs standard Africa Twin it has the same power, relatively same weight, comparable equipment.

However, the BMW has tubeless rims, crash bars, bigger tank, adjustable screen. Here in UK it has 1 year longer warranty and surprise, surprise considerably lower starting list price.

Also there is a host of optional equipment to beef it up further that are not available for AT at all (cruise control, cough cough) . Surely Honda would have a hard time against that offer. It is not a coincidence the huge discounts UK Honda dealers are offering too far often.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
We can upgrade the cruise control for around $500.

Japanese bikes are more reliable and cheaper to repair, parts, and labor.

So, I'll stick with my ATAS.

Cheers!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don’t think Honda are that bothered tbh, it’s quite laughable how arrogant Honda are, they say they listen to the buyers, but even though all it’s competition have cruise control, tubeless and a tft, Honda still have’nt obliged. The 850 gsa te apparently is going to be £13525, fully kitted plus a 3 year warranty, so the same as a ATAS dct, but with all the kit a bm comes with, I think next October will see plenty of huge discounts on the 18/19 year AT’s and ATAS that they failed to sell.

Maybe Honda will join the party in 2020, of course everyone else would have moved to the next level by then.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Japanese bikes are more reliable and cheaper to repair, parts, and labor.
That's a bit of cliché. My AT had corrosion issues in the first 6 months and there are various reports for common faults around. I am not 100% confident in Honda "quality" anymore.

Check the costs of 16k mile service for Africa Twin (or any of the modern VFRs) and then we'll talk again about cheap maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's a bit of cliché. My AT had corrosion issues in the first 6 months and there are various reports for common faults around. I am not 100% confident in Honda "quality" anymore.

Check the costs of 16k mile service for Africa Twin (or any of the modern VFRs) and then we'll talk again about cheap maintenance and repairs.
well, then it's gonna be a good comparo, let's see how the BMW does when it's 2 years in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here in Aus the BM's are more expensive than the AT's & need to be speced up at great cost, I also think they are made for a different market as the AT is much more offroad focused than the GS, the AT is the biggest selling adventure bike in Aus by a big margin, the 800GS has only a small percentage of the market here, be interesting to see how the 850 sells.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had a look at the BMW 850 GS Adventure last week in ECIMA show: it looks really cheaply done, plastic everywhere. And also found the seat really sunken into the bike, too low for me.
In Italy the price has yet to be announced but the standard version is about the same price as the standard Africa Twin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
...and there are the mass market recalls to contend with.... I've also found out (to my cost) that the only place where you'll get decent trade in for the BMW (at least in UK) is with....BMW. Wanted out of that loop/trap a while ago and took massive hit on a RT when I went elsewhere (to KTM as it happens....and Honda dealer bit my hand off to take as PX recently, offering over the book!!).

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've tried the f850gs three weeks ago, it's ok, but when tft screen doesn't connect to older headseat, also you can't use it with google maps or wazw, only with theirs software...

The most important to my was the expensive replacements parts in case of crash or accident. They're too much expensive than honda...

I've tested ktm 1090 adventure r, bwm gs850, yamaha super tenere and the africa twin, but for cost of replacements parts, reliability and more, i chose the africa twin adventure sport.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I watched a utube vid on the beemer, overall the tester was of the opinion that it was very boring to ride. Not like a wild DCT.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just don't find that bike or the new GS750 to be that inspiring - looks, sound, feeling.
I haven't ridden one but hearing the exhaust note of the AT and that bike is the deal closer for me. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I was in the market to buy, I looked at Beemers and they seemed bland. And the Chinese built engine....ummm no thanks. I've seen enough of the way Chinese build on LiveLeak! No offence China.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last week my neighbor got the new BMW... I will do some offroad tours with him soon, then we will see how the GS will handle the desert around Las Vegas. I only had a look at it in our parking garage and for my taste it looks like a nice motorcycle.

However, I am sure that I won't trade in my AT for the 850 :grin2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
AT doesn't need a TFT dash. How about a reliable fork that doesn't crap itself after 10k km.
Honda is a reliable bike. I'll get you home.
But I no longer associate honda and good built quality/good engineering after owning the AT.

GS..Chinese engine? massive recalls? The 750 has zero adjustability on the suspension.
It seems that the bike is trading on gimmicks rather than real world useful features.

To me it's soft competition to the AT, even the 850. The old 800s were not exactly stellar when it came to being bullet proof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at all the bike optionstions before I bought my ATAS, and feel like I bought the right bike for me and my riding style. The BMW is way more expensive here in the US, the KTM and Triumph engines put out to much heat for our hot Colorado summers. Although this is the last reason to pick which bike you're going to buy, I think the ATAS is the best looking bike of the lot. Lastly its way easier to find a Honda dealer for repairs while traveling than the others.

·
Registered
328 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts