Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yo guys!

I'm new here. (today as a matter of fact!) I have a BMW GS 1200 Triple Black version with low miles and I am seriously considering the AT with DCT Sport model. I think it's a good choice to move to the AT and I know I'm asking on a forum that is dedicated to this bike. However, has anyone here moved from a GS to AT?

Cheers!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rikki: I did in a back handed manner. I rented a 1200 GS last June for a ride in WV, and absolutely fell in love with it. However, I neither wished to pay the price for the BMW or support it in a town with the closest dealer over an hour a way. An employee of mine had a 2017 AT that I rode for about 40 miles and felt that would meet my needs just as well. Got a line on an Adventure Sport up in Hood River last November, and after working it hard on a test run handed over the cash. It was the right decision for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a 1200 Adventure previously and I would say they are very different beasts. The BMW was a serious mile muncher, rode across Australia, Perth to Philip Island and back with my teenage son as a pillion, a round trip of around 8,000 kms from memory, and it was as comfortable and capable as any tourer IMHO.

I now live in the Adelaide CBD and use an Africa Twin (DCT) for commuting and week-end fun and find it more suitable than the big GSA in this role. Yes, absolutely I could ride the Honda across Australia but horses for courses, it wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable but then riding the GSA in city traffic every day wouldn't exactly be a hoot either!

In terms of quality, I think both manufacturers are up there with the best. I've had faults with both bikes, final drive failure on the BMW and spokes and rubbish heated grips on the AT but I guess nothing is perfect. Just my two bobs worth,

·
Registered
222 Posts
I swapped from a 2013 GSA to a 2017 DCT AT and love it. I've done 2000 mile weeks on both bikes...prefer the AT. Day rides? Yup, prefer the AT. I struggle to think of anything I don't like more on the AT than the GSA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just part exchanged a 2014 1200gs for a 2018 AT. totally deferent bikes. in many way but I prefer the AT feels lighter more nimble. engines not as noisy and the build quality is top notch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Rikki Rockett.
I bought my At from a guy who went from the AT to the brand new $20k+GS1200 (I'm don't think he is full satisfied with his decision)
All will depends what is you idea to ride or style. I use my motorcycle for city commute (and some long rides on weekend) and the motorcycle is really good and easy to ride in the street in middle of cars and traffic.
Also you will find a TON of accessories for the AT.
Could be good idea to do a test drive on one AT before you take any decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts