Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done over 6,000 miles on my new 2017 AT DCT this year and wanted to share some reflections on the bike and how it does on long rides. As a lifetime owner of many BMWs, this was a dramatic change to the AT. However, I couldn't be happier with the performance of this bike. It performed flawlessly for the entire 3,775 miles up to Jasper from Boise ID, down the Yellowhead Hwy via Edmonton, Yorkton, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Elkhart IN and home in Lexington KY. The bike was loaded down with a couple of hundred pounds of gear with no issues.

Gas mileage when running 60 or so was in the high 40's. When 70 or above, then mid 30's. Had to watch the gas, especially in long distances between gas stations in Canada...I may have filled up more than I needed, but who wants to push a 540 bike with gear on it?

Some comments on bike particulars...the DCT was a dream, just really set and go. Mostly in D mode and the bike took care of itself. In the curves and mountains, then the S mode with paddle shifting. No surprises. I installed the Honda OEM touring windshield and it was a big improvement over the stock screen. I am 6 foot with a 31 inseam and the wind was very effectively blocked with no helmet buffeting. OEM heated grips (needed near Jasper, etc.) are marginal. In 45 degree weather, they barely get the job done. Better than nothing, but not much. Honda side panniers also were ok, easy to get on and off, but need to be careful on loading and not allow clothing to get in the lower seam which opens them up to water. I remove the cable holding the two pieces together so I could load and remove easier. Hepco & Becker engine and handlebar guards did a great job in protecting the bike in a parking lot tip over...can't say the same for my right foot and ribs, but motored on. I find the front brake a little grabby, especially at low speeds when pulling up to a gas pump, etc., so use very gingerly and use more rear brake. OEM center stand option is a must for chain lubes, adjustments, etc.

I find the stock seat plenty comfortable...had one 680 mile day and was not suffering. That speaks well as I have been on others and could not do half that distance.

While the bike has off road DNA, the street credentials on this long ride across Canada were great. Looking forward to Eastern Canada touring in 2019.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I totally agree. It's a great tourer and all-rounder. Did you enjoy yourself up from Banff to Jasper?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best highway

This time I came from Golden BC over to Lake Louise and up to Jasper...gotta be one of the best roads to ride in North America. Have done it several time and never get tired of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yellow Head

I had a good experience, almost no wind or rain, mild temperatures and the landscape while flat and filled with large industrial farms, it was much better than the many rides I have taken across E. Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri and Illinois. I'll take the Yellow Head any day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good attitude, guess I'm spoiled as I grew up in BC with twisty roads in every direction. Now live in Edmonton essentially right on the YH so have to travel 2-3 hours straight roads to get to the twisty stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for a good review. Its nice to hear about the good things to :). I´m learing my ATAS and I love every mile and minute of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts