Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I remember seeing in a thread something about a Bolt ON Tool Box, the one that bolts onto the inside of the L/H Pannier Rack,
Can someone point me in the right direction ? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I opted for the tool tube. Primarily to carry wheel removal and puncture repair stuff. It did unfortunately require "making a plan" for the mounting. I have H&B pannier frames and wanted a solid mount base on the frame. It meant making mounting points, and because the tube is hard plastic, I want a strap to support it near the middle. I am using some stretchy rope for now, but want to make up a 25mm strap.

I fitted a bracket onto the point where the pannier lock is located and had to drill & tap into the frame so that I can mount a bracket on the opposite side of the lock. Also tapped into the frame where I want to fit the strap.

Everything I need fits into the tube except the tyre levers. From past lessons, I opted for long one's and am happy the fit them externally. I think this setup will work well for what I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen a few in my surfing also......
This is what I found, but not the one I remember that I wanted for my bike.......

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Toolbox-for-BMW-OEM-Pannier-Rack-R1200GS-ADV-All-Years

http://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Extra cargo accessories/S250 Tool box
Thanks DD69, I like the look of that Givi, looks water tight too.

Bumot do an integrated toolbox with their pannier frames

Hi JP, Thats the one I was talking about, If I go this way I'm sure I'll have some small mods to do as I don't have Bumot racks.

I opted for the tool tube. Primarily to carry wheel removal and puncture repair stuff. It did unfortunately require "making a plan" for the mounting. I have H&B pannier frames and wanted a solid mount base on the frame. It meant making mounting points, and because the tube is hard plastic, I want a strap to support it near the middle. I am using some stretchy rope for now, but want to make up a 25mm strap.

I fitted a bracket onto the point where the pannier lock is located and had to drill & tap into the frame so that I can mount a bracket on the opposite side of the lock. Also tapped into the frame where I want to fit the strap.

Everything I need fits into the tube except the tyre levers. From past lessons, I opted for long one's and am happy the fit them externally. I think this setup will work well for what I need.
Thanks JohnG, Ar yes those long Levers, for the reason I've larnt how to use short ones, take small steps:)
Do you really feel as you would need a extra middle support ? Those brackets you made look pretty good to me, maybe another bolt at the front ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks JohnG, Ar yes those long Levers, for the reason I've larnt how to use short ones, take small steps:)
Do you really feel as you would need a extra middle support ? Those brackets you made look pretty good to me, maybe another bolt at the front ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Denburger, I will live with the long levers for now, hopefully don't have to practice too much:)
As for the center support. I think if the tube was mounted flat, sitting on its mounting bases, it would not be a problem. I came across some pictures of the base cracking where it meets the tube, so my thinking is that the heavier items will naturally move to the bottom and they will 'bounce' all day long on dirt roads. Hopefully having additional support will take the stress off the base and prevent it from cracking. Hopefully I am right.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you really feel as you would need a extra middle support ? Those brackets you made look pretty good to me, maybe another bolt at the front ?
Hi Denburger, I will live with the long levers for now, hopefully don't have to practice too much:)
As for the center support. I think if the tube was mounted flat, sitting on its mounting bases, it would not be a problem. I came across some pictures of the base cracking where it meets the tube, so my thinking is that the heavier items will naturally move to the bottom and they will 'bounce' all day long on dirt roads. Hopefully having additional support will take the stress off the base and prevent it from cracking. Hopefully I am right.[/QUOTE]

I hear you JohnG, those tools bounce around a bit, thats why I wrap all my stuff in an old towel which then doubles as a ground sheet.
Packs in tight stopping things bouncing around to much.
Dont worry those short levers work fine, just check out my lastest pics in the " Pics Where you Ride" Thread, Large rock gravel roads and 20psi just dont mix :(

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All .. giving this a bump ... Has anyone actually mounted the Givi toolbox on the AT in Touratech pannier racks?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bumot do an integrated toolbox with their pannier frames
I'm looking at panniers & racks and am leaning towards going with Bumot. The availability of this toolbox is another reason to favour the Bumot IMO. It looks like it has a lock on it, that's something my current tool tube doesn't have. I'll have to measure my tool tube to see how it compares to the 250mm of the Bumot toolbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts