Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there !

I'm a potential newcomer in the AT world, if I can decide ;)

For now I'm travelling with my wife on a 800GS, Europe and more... We have time, we take time, we love to travel by motorbike so we just do it !

I'm using now this 800GS in Paris and suburb and for loong tour, from Paris to Balkans. As we plan to go soon to Iran and Mongolia then, I'm looking for the next bike and of course the AT is more than in my mind but still fighting against the dady 1200GS...

I'm here to take a decision reading at your stories and topics.
Cheers,

S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there - I'm doing a biggie starting this November shipping my new AT to Buenos Aires and riding south to Ushaia where the real trip will begin north to Prudoe Bay
I chose the AT for Honda reliability as I have previously done a long trip with 3 others Dubai to Capetown via Yemen and we all used the 1150GSA and ALL of them gave numerous rear suspension and electrical problems !
by the time we got to South Africa it was a tour of the BBW workshops rather than the country.
Another trip x2 bikes in the early 00's was from Dubai to Dublin via Iran on the XRV750 Africa Twin - soooo reliable ! - only time we used the tools was we adjusted the chains in Thessaloniki and it probably wasent even necessary - my vote and confidence is with the new AT for my next trip !
PS - I have a 2014 1200GSA for the short trips here in Dubai/Oman and wouldn't consider it for the PanAm - not necessarily everyone would agree with me but my experience in Africa puts the Honda far ahead for reliability !

·
Registered
19 Posts
and yes my 1200GSA is more far more comfortable on the Highways, but I need to be able to rely on it and do minor fixes myself and not need a computer link up in places like Northern Ethiopia and Malawi..............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
oh thank you for this reply!
BMW 1200 GS and highways, a love affair I know, but for electronic parts I'm also so scared...

Now I just need to find what to change to this new AT to make if confortable for my passenger and I and to find the great cases and "bonus" to add to goooo anywhere.

DCT or not ? Is this reliable to your opinion ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't try the DCT as there isn't one here in Dubai - i think that I am the only owner here with any AT right now as they arrived with Honda only in May and only the clutch is available. Purchases of bikes are generally not done here during the summer months until the temps cool down post September.
I also want to be fully controlling the offroad and I enjoy the clutch and its what I know - so didn't even consider the DCT at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts