Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a booster plug and if so how big a job is it ??

I have a full akropovic system but no overly keen on spending another £350 on a remap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A remap is a better option, it will give better fuelling over the entire rev ranger. Booster plugs, as I understand; just fool the ECU into enriching the mixture a bit. So where the engine runs weak around 4-5 k it will still be leaner.

·
Registered
325 Posts
booster plug? the last **** ... 5$ material

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a full akropovic system but no overly keen on spending another £350 on a remap.

I've got the booster plug on my 2016 ATDCT. However, I only have the stock muffler on it. With a full Akra I might lean towards the Rapidbike or Power Commander. That being said, that's not what you asked. So regarding the boosterplug, I would have several reasons to tear your bike down before doing it. Need GPS, PC8, airfilters? You are going to be elbow deep before you know it. Several hours at least. Have a hairdryer handy to get the hoses back on the airbox.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're in the UK Hilltop do a remap. It uses a self learning program, so. If you change the silencer or air filters etc it will still give the best fuel/air ratio. Worth the money I think.

·
Registered
171 Posts

If it’s a manual, I’d go the remap route, as many in the uk seem happy with that, but make sure it’s dyno’ed before and after. If it’s a DCT, then currently it can’t be put on a dyno and atleast one of our members had his remapped without dyno and didn’t notice any difference, with his DCT bike.

As for the Booster Plug, can’t recommend, don’t know enough about them. I was interested in either the Rapidbike or the Booster, but the manufacturers can’t give a guarantee of satisfaction of their product, so not prepared to gamble my money away.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Reactions: rider_marc

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If it’s a manual, I’d go the remap route, as many in the uk seem happy with that, but make sure it’s dyno’ed before and after. If it’s a DCT, then currently it can’t be put on a dyno and atleast one of our members had his remapped without dyno and didn’t notice any difference, with his DCT bike.

As for the Booster Plug, can’t recommend, don’t know enough about them. I was interested in either the Rapidbike or the Booster, but the manufacturers can’t give a guarantee of satisfaction of their product, so not prepared to gamble my money away.
There's at least 2 dct owners who have had the remap done and haven't noticed any difference. I tried the rapidbikeeasy and noticed no difference with that either.
Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a DCT. As for noticing a difference, I'm not bothered, I'm more concerned about the long term effects of running an overly lean engine.

The remap I would get would be a hilltop remap but through a vendor in Scotland.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There's at least 2 dct owners who have had the remap done and haven't noticed any difference. I tried the rapidbikeeasy and noticed no difference with that either.
Mike
I have the RapidBike easy and honestly the difference can be felt, but I felt it only after intalling my Ixil with
racing baffle that's bigger opening than the normal one.
Since then I can tell the difference, going from 0 fueling to +1 and it's honestly a better solution than the
booster plug because you can go back to 0 anytime without uninstalling it !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts