Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased and installed a Booster Plug on my Twin. I personally feel that they are way to lean in the U.S. and installing my LeoVince did not help that any in my opinion so I did some research and thought to give this a try.

Before....

At Idle the rev had some slight fluctuation in it. Not a grossly abnormal amount but it definitely was not as steady as it could be. Acceleration was impressive but felt like it needed something. The throttle response was in need of some assistance as well.

Install....

For some bikes it is a 10 minutes install. For the Twin, it took me around an hour and a half. I really enjoy working on my bikes and anything with a motor so the time really does not bother me. I had to remove all the plastic up front, gas tank, and air box to access the plug on the bottom of the air box. Then I routed the resistor up to my clutch cable ensuring I had enough excess to turn left and right without over tightening the wires.

After....

As soon as I got the gas tank back on I started it up. The idle was steady. No fluctuations. I gave the throttle a blip. Throttle response is quick and precise. So far so good. I installed the rest of the body work and took it for a spin. It was like riding a whole new bike! The acceleration is smooth as butter. No more jerking in the lower revs at low speeds. Downshifting does not pop nearly as much or as loud as it used to either. This is just what she needed!

I am very impressed with this $150 piece of equipment so far. In my eyes it was the best investment I have made for my bike. If you are interested in what it is and how it works, they have everything on their website.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Links are a nice thing to post or are they not allowed?

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-honda-crf1000l-446p.html

I too have been considering a fuel processor as I have noticed the idle, especially cold, to be fluctuating too much for a new bike. Lots of decel pop has made me wonder if there is a leak in the crush gaskets, leak in the mid pipe connection, or just running lean. Thanks for the info and I think I may just purchase this item.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not posting the link. I missed that. I know I have only had it for a day but the difference is incredible!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I currently have an F700GS.
I fitted a Booster Plug a couple of years ago and it transformed the bike.
Much smoother, no stalling and surprisingly no difference in fuel consumption.
I have recommended the system to a few of my mates and they were well pleased.
My Africa Twin is due to arrive late October and I have already ordered a Booster Plug.
If you choose to get one you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased and installed a Booster Plug on my Twin. I personally feel that they are way to lean in the U.S. and installing my LeoVince did not help that any in my opinion so I did some research and thought to give this a try.

Before....

At Idle the rev had some slight fluctuation in it. Not a grossly abnormal amount but it definitely was not as steady as it could be. Acceleration was impressive but felt like it needed something. The throttle response was in need of some assistance as well.

Install....

For some bikes it is a 10 minutes install. For the Twin, it took me around an hour and a half. I really enjoy working on my bikes and anything with a motor so the time really does not bother me. I had to remove all the plastic up front, gas tank, and air box to access the plug on the bottom of the air box. Then I routed the resistor up to my clutch cable ensuring I had enough excess to turn left and right without over tightening the wires.

After....

As soon as I got the gas tank back on I started it up. The idle was steady. No fluctuations. I gave the throttle a blip. Throttle response is quick and precise. So far so good. I installed the rest of the body work and took it for a spin. It was like riding a whole new bike! The acceleration is smooth as butter. No more jerking in the lower revs at low speeds. Downshifting does not pop nearly as much or as loud as it used to either. This is just what she needed!

I am very impressed with this $150 piece of equipment so far. In my eyes it was the best investment I have made for my bike. If you are interested in what it is and how it works, they have everything on their website.
Hi,

I also have the LeoVinci can fitted. Are you running the standard air filters?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed this last week and it absolutely does what it claims.
All the things mentioned above applied to my experience.
I'm not sure if you should run full exhaust and hi flow air filters with it or not, but it is perfect for a stock bike.
Just ordered one for my FZ-07, I expect the same results.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Before....

Install....

After....

I see that you have the temp sensor exposed to the sun do they not say on the instructions to keep away from heat?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed the booster plug yesterday.

Hats off to the member who completed the job in 90 minutes.

Took me a couple hours longer than that!

I figured when I had all the plastics off, and the tank off, the rest would be quick, but the instruction "just lift the air box and install the plug" was a little misleading.

I managed to unhook a couple drainage hoses and loosened a couple clamps, and by keeping an eye on the bundles of wire I was stretching, managed to lift the rear end of the box high enough, and long enough, to get the plug installed.

Running the probe through the route I liked required some creativity. I then zip tied it to the left air intake snorkel.

I like the idle and throttle response but have yet to test it with a ride. Waiting for our current west coast rains to lessen..................

·
Registered
38 Posts
test ride

Finally got the AT out for a nice spin today after the booster plug installation, on all types of roads, on and off pavement, and at all speeds .

My before and after test was in cool weather, 10 degrees C.

I didn't notice much difference in idle, nor in maneuvering at low speed/low RPM. There may have been a difference if the ambient temperature was higher, but not the case today.

The notable difference was in throttle response. This became apparent very quickly by the fact the traction control kicked in more quickly, and more often, than it did before the installation.

To enjoy the ride, I had to limit the traction control on gravel/dirt to a greater degree than I did without the booster plug, otherwise the traction control became a real nuisance.

I also sensed strong, smooth acceleration through the RPM range (which may have just been because I was having a blast on the bike today), and less deceleration exhaust backfiring (I didn't notice any backfiring today, as compared to the muffled decel popping pre- booster plug).

Not a scientific study, but my sense was improved performance, primarily in the fun department.

Reactions: abj and Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
Type/brand of Booster Plug connectors

Hi all!

I‘m planning to do an extension cable to install Booster Plug on an easier to reach position (under the drivers seat or similar) on the AT.

Does anybody know the exact type (and maybe a source for) the connector used on Booster Plug / the IAT sensor on the bottom of the air box and the main cable harness of the AT?
To me they are looking like: Sumitomo HX Sealed Connectors - 2 Position Waterproof Female/Male Connector (Bottom Rib)

Many thanks in advance,

Gerhard

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all!

I've also installed Booster Plug yesterday and as Hemdawg wrote it's a fu.... job to remove the tank and the airbox to get access to the IAT sensor connector but, a much heavier fu.... job is to reinstall tank and airbox. So far, so bad, but today after a 100 KM testride I could say for 100% it was worth to do it. Booster Plug does exactly what it claims. I've the feeling to sit on a totally different bike. I own a manual AT with cat in place, standard air filters and a Akrapovic Slip-on exhaust with db-killers installed.

Cheers, gerhard

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been wondering about the booster plug and may install one. Since I am at a higher elevation, town at 7,000 ft. peaks at 12,000, valley at 1,086 and often ride in Colorado, is it something that I need for the bike to run smoothly though the changing elevations?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been reading with interest about the booster plug. Are there any down sides to installing it? I am heading out on the Continental Divide route this summer and want ultimate reliability. Also does this help increase fuel mileage at all?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just the opposite, it should slightly decrease mileage as it makes the the F/A mixture up to 6% richer. There should be zero short term effect on reliability, perhaps less heat and valve abuse long term. As far as the booster plug failing, probably no more chance than your stock AT sensor failing.

I installed mine today. The job took a while, but was not all that difficult. Just lots to take apart and put back together.

The difference was not as profound as it was on my KTM1290SA that I did a week or two ago, but I can feel the difference in the driveability at lower revs and on-off throttle transitions. I got an indicated 54.3 mpg on my 30 minute test loop, so it certainly didn't kill the MPG. I did see an immediate drop with the KTM of 2-3 mpg.

Overall, the improvement in driveability is worth the $150 price tag and couple of hours of work. I also took the time to do a cleaner job routing the GPS and heated grip wires since I had the tank and plastics off.

Nice to spend the time in the garage with the AT.

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts