Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mother of Metal, if I knew what a pain in the arse this was going to be, I would have killed the dog and slit my wrists ahead of time. Be prepared. To spend some time unraveling a giant japanese pretzel made of cactus thorns and safety wire. Or similar. The instructional pdf from the mfgr- would better serve as a piss pad for puppies made from fossilized swiss cheese.
There. I feel better now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You said it, that intake manifold is a ************ to remove and re-install. All those oil drain hoses and the big breather hose that can't be reached are some real icing on the cake.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only thing I can say for sure is that the idle speed increased and smoothed out and it seemed to take away some of the lean twitchyness out of the off-idle throttle response. You can definitely smell the rich mixture when you are warming it up outside the shop. I can't say if it did anymore than that as far as overall power goes, since at the same time I added crash bars, skid plate, and the second fuel tank and the bike felt like a completely different bike to me with that extra weight when I took a quick test drive around the block. Then I loaded up with 60 lbs of gear and rode it for 3 weeks so I lost my brain's calibration of what the stock bike felt like to compare it.

Anyway if I had to remove all that stuff again to install either a tuner or a booster plug I would choose a real tuner so I'd have the freedom to remove the cat and decork the bike a bit in the future (over the winter). But I'm not sure what installation is like into this bike with a real tuner, it's usually as simple as plugging into a connector under the seat.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If it is just low end "snatchiness" you want to be rid of a Rapid Bike Easy is just the trick and is a very easy and quick install. I couldn't stand the low speed jerkfest of my 2016 model and this cured it instantly at low cost. It is just making the mixture a little bit richer. This is the simple model, not programmable (two dials on it, they tell you which settings to use) or upmarket as the boosterplug but the difference was night and day for me, nothing subjective, a real improvement in low rev smoothness. It does nothing for mid and high rev range that you would notice. They do two other more upmarket units which I have no doubt are as tough to install as the boosterplug.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ouch.., Im happy I do not have to do that, none of those problems on my 2017 model.. there is virtually no lag or snatchiness anywhere..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts