Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will we be able to go abroad this year on the AT, i have changed my ferry bookings 3 times and intend going from Ports mouth to Santander on 8th July, every time i have changed dates on my credits for 2020 bookings i get charged extra, ie £90 from Brittany Ferries, £5 for P O ferries, nice to know how much the French hate the English.Does anyone understand the testing rules and who does the testing for us. Both here and Spain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cant help you, but feel your pain. I have given up on the continent for another year. Will be Scotland on the motorbike and King Alfred way on the bicycle this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We were booked lanzarotte last Dec & never imagined we’d not get When lockdown 1 kicked off. That was pushed back 12 months as no refunds via airline or Villa that booked

we’re hoping to get this Dec. Poster above mentioned Scotland. We had a week on Harris about 7 weeks ago & just back from a 5 hour trip round fort William/ oban area. If you are stuck this year for ideas - you’d be hard pressed to find better biking country (weather permitting of course)

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
319 Posts
Also here same headache live 5 minutes from Belgium board but we only may stay max 24 hour no acces to hotel or camping site. Germany same on part what is open was Portugal and the islands. Like Tenerife.
Driving 2 weeks in the Netherlands with the bike is very boring and flat and a lot of bicycles and green bullsh*t people which are complaining over everything. I think in UK you better off you have mountains and farm roads also off road is I think more then in our country.
Happy holidays.

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
Driving 2 weeks in the Netherlands with the bike is very boring and flat and a lot of bicycles and green bullsh*t people which are complaining over everything.
... but the Netherlands raises the standard bar on how everyone can move in harmony on a cycle without robbing the land of its natural beauty and be at peace with flowers, trees and bugs.

The world looks to the Netherlands for what can be done and still be neighour-friendly, even if other worldly urban centers get down to -5, -20 and -40C, and even +30, +40 and even +45C. At these extremes, the world looks to - you guess it - the Netherlands.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
319 Posts
Double I don,t know where that is coming from but that was 10 years ago today in most cities it crowed there is a lot aggression in the traffic. If you make a mistake then at the next traffic light you have problem some idiots try to hit you or want to fight. Or there are idots who think to road is only for them.
Here it was last winter also -9 for a couple of days then the whole country is in panic code red.Due to political games they want that houses will not use neutral gas anymore for heating and cooking but elctric with heatpumps and what do you think utility company could not supply enough power and heatpumps where to small. Last summer it was a long period above 32+ code red water company complain about water shortage it was in some parts not allowed to fill your Aliexpress swimming pool. That is the other story of the Netherlands. I have been in a lot of countries for work and each country has his pro,s and con,s. It be come time that the borders will go open 2019 was for me the last time I was on holiday I don,t have a ATAS for only riding around in the The Netherlands then you feel the area here is to small. A lot of us here like to go to Germany,France Austria or Italy for riding. Let hope that this will come back soon.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pete
I had a flight and villa booked for last May in Portugal, ended up cancelling both and getting a refund. I also had a non refundable full payment on a bike for a weeks hire so lost £500 and put it down to experience. I deliberately didn't rebook it as I could see this was going to be a long term issue and the clowns in charge here will make a mess of it. It will pass at some point and we will go back to some new normal but I'd not be expecting a trip abroad this Summer.
The 'rules' seem pretty straightforward

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have given up on Eurpean mainland travel (on the bike any way) for 2021.....I have deferred (again) my Eurotunnel booking for another 12 months.

I have booked flights to Spain for late August, personally I think it will be a miracle if Spain or any other European country will be on the ‘Green’ list for us Brits by then but I have family over there so can go regardless. The major sticking point is the cost of tests.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel for you guys from the other side.
My wife's sister lives in Wales while we live in Switzerland.

Shes been trying to get a trip booked but it matters not if you have vax, neg test, whatever, still have to sit in quarantine for 10d.
Its a non starter!

got nothing to do with bikes, but this tread is more about the crazed and demented authorities politicizing the a health event.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sadly, in the U.S. we're dealing with the same issue. I've been planning my trip to Canada/Vancouver and it looks like another post-ponement. The country is closed to all tourist traffic still. Mexico is kinda open from what I can see, but i'm not looking to get into that much heat.........keep on waiting i guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sadly, in the U.S. we're dealing with the same issue. I've been planning my trip to Canada/Vancouver and it looks like another post-ponement. The country is closed to all tourist traffic still. Mexico is kinda open from what I can see, but i'm not looking to get into that much heat.........keep on waiting i guess.
Are you allowed to travel across State lines, if you are I suppose that is some relief as the US is vast and quite varied?

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
Are you allowed to travel across State lines, if you are I suppose that is some relief as the US is vast and quite varied?
RE Covid: I reckon in most cases they are since many of the states, especially in the eastern side of the country, are tiny. That is a lot of state border to cover. This is more true now with the deployment of vaccine.

In Canada, we have some provincial border closures. However, typically our provinces are quite massive. For example: Province Ontario is over four times the land size of Great Britain. So there is no shortage of area to cover.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
342 Posts
All I can say, is where I live in Florida, we were never subjected to the intense lockdowns like so much of Europe. Our economy wasn't totally destroyed like other states, yet our citizens didn't drop like flies from Covid either. My wife is from Europe and she was shocked when talking to her parents and friends how basically they were imprisoned in their own homes. Apparently none of that seemed to work.

In Florida, I won't say we are back to pre-Covid, but we are pretty close to it. I recently was at Disney a month and I can't tell you how many Californians came to Florida because their Disney still wasn't open yet. Again, we didn't have people keeling over from Covid because Disney was operational.

I feel most of the world bungled the approach to this and everyone is still paying for it. I had plans to go to Europe this summer but that is clearly on hold with so many places still in lockdown. I feel for all of you in Europe still caught in the dystopian nightmare. Just drives home a point that who you elect (if that is a possibility) matters. Hopefully the world will come together and really get to the origins of the Covid and punish those responsible for it. It clearly didn't jump from bats...

I feel for all the people that were impacted economically because their governments couldn't get their acts together and have a coherent, effective response. I am so thankful I wasn't trapped in New York City like a lot of my family was though I lost a grandparent because of the idiocy of the government there. Hopefully Europe will be in a better place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts