Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first noticed this corrosion on the banjo fitting to front caliper about two months after buying bike which was after 1 or 2 rides on dry cold days, somewhere around 150 miles. I now have 300 miles on the bike. Reported brake fitting and spoke problems to dealer at 250 miles. They said no warranty for brake fittings, warranty for spokes, that Honda America has "never seen corrosion like this on brakes before" and service manager implied that maybe it was due to me living near the ocean. I'm guessing this is magnesium chloride related which is what they are using on the roads these days in Connecticut. Whatever the metal in this fittings is causing some very strong and accelerated corrosion. Be mindful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I first noticed this corrosion on the banjo fitting to front caliper about two months after buying bike which was after 1 or 2 rides on dry cold days, somewhere around 150 miles. I now have 300 miles on the bike. Reported brake fitting and spoke problems to dealer at 250 miles. They said no warranty for brake fittings, warranty for spokes, that Honda America has "never seen corrosion like this on brakes before" and service manager implied that maybe it was due to me living near the ocean. I'm guessing this is magnesium chloride related which is what they are using on the roads these days in Connecticut. Whatever the metal in this fittings is causing some very strong and accelerated corrosion. Be mindful.
Yeah - I live next to the North Sea and if I don't paint the banjos with acf50 every couple of weeks they end up just like that. True on every bike I have had except my Triumph Rocket3 which has stainless steel fittings.
On every Honda I have had there have also been about 4 or 5 mild steel poorly painted small brackets that need the same acf50 painting or they will go the same way but take a bit longer.
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Your banjo bolts and connectors look "similar" to my Super Teneres did, but mine weren't quite as bad. I live in CO where they use Mag-Chloride too. Mag-Chloride is highly corrosive. Whether my motorcycle or auto, I always wash/hose off my vehicles if I'd been driving/riding through it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One of my other bikes says right in the manual "treat any unpainted surfaces with a corrosion inhibitor" so I suppose I'll have to look at doing the same with the Honda.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A little bit of ACF-50 and a small brush to apply it to these affected areas should help until your roads stop been treated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts