Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
In terms of Machine Learning algorithmic behaviour, I haven't detected that yet.
Nonetheless, learning and deep learning technology is making its way into everyday life.
Odds are you wouldn't DT. The changes are designed to be very subtle and gradually move the performance in the desired direction. As a pilot/rider you would not like to have the machine be markedly different every time the situation changes. The changes are usually stored in firmware so the machine starts off where it quit last time. Some of these controllers can be reset by pulling power off them like the Evo. Others will store changes semi-permanently until they are reflashed like many modern cars and trucks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow gang,
Most of what you boys have been discussing is so far over my head, telescopes ain't good enough for me to see it. There is one thing that's been mentioned in your posts that does strike a chord though. We have a diesel powered motorhome and, it has an Allison MH3000 6-spd trans. As I understand, that transmission LEARNS the way I drive the coach. It takes into consideration the weight involved, (both motorhome and vehicle being towed), how much throttle is used, either automatically selecting gears or, by me doing it manually for grades etc, and then, processes all of it and, in a given amount of time, will actually change its shifting points to satisfy my driving habits.

I personally don't see how it can learn that stuff since, my driving habits change, consistently due to roads, grades, loads, stop and go, and more.

But, for the A/T to potentially "learn" stuff, well, again, you boys OBVIOUSLY know quite a bit more than I'm capable of. I just find it odd that on occasion, it won't up shift, usually from 3rd to 4th, no matter what I do with the throttle. And that's in the S mode.
Scott
This particular DCT related myth has been perpetrated by a few misinformed users since Honda published a poorly written FAQ page circa 2012!
The English translation they used is the word "learning" and many reporters and owners jumped to the conclusion that there was some intelligent feature that adjusts DCT behavior to the riding style.
There is no evidence of this- AFAIK this myth has been "busted".

Also, when up/down shifts do not work (consistently) as they're supposed to, you have an issue with the bike.
If it is a random occurrence it is called a 'Gremlin" AFAIK

·
Registered
353 Posts
I saw a year or so back a link to a technical document from Honda that did explain some of that, but I can no longer seem to find the link or the document. It may have been an internal document.

If I can find it or if anyone else knows what I am talking about and has a link to it, it could be worth posting.

Edit: I think this may be the site, but I can't find the exact article I had seen before on the AT DCT Transmission. But perhaps you can glean what you are looking for by piecing together info from the Goldwing and VFR transmission articles that are there.
Development of CRF1000L Africa Twin
Browse e-Book including this paper. Summary

AuthorKazuhiko ONO、Naoshi IIZUKA、Yutaka YAMAKURA、Yoshiyuki IMAI、Akihiro IIDA、Takeshi SUGANO、Masanori NAKAMURA、Shinya KOYAMA、Kenichiro NAKAMURAArticleHonda R&D Technical Review Vol.28 No.2Date of issueSep 01, 2016

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
Development of CRF1000L Africa Twin
Browse e-Book including this paper. Summary

AuthorKazuhiko ONO、Naoshi IIZUKA、Yutaka YAMAKURA、Yoshiyuki IMAI、Akihiro IIDA、Takeshi SUGANO、Masanori NAKAMURA、Shinya KOYAMA、Kenichiro NAKAMURAArticleHonda R&D Technical Review Vol.28 No.2Date of issueSep 01, 2016

That is the same site I linked to is it not? I seem to recall having seen one on the Africa Twin DCT specifically, but I only can seem to find that article regarding the development of the CRF1000L Africa Twin as a whole.

I just can't seem to find it anymore, so perhaps I am mistaken.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is the same site I linked to is it not? I seem to recall having seen one on the Africa Twin DCT specifically, but I only can seem to find that article regarding the development of the CRF1000L Africa Twin as a whole.

I just can't seem to find it anymore, so perhaps I am mistaken.
You may be refering to this page in Techviews

If you scroll down the page there is a link to Q&A page and the mythical "learning" translation is still there: draw your own conclusions, lol
Q6. What is new about this Dual Clutch Transmission?

A.
Today, most of the automatic systems designed for motorcycles are continuously variable transmissions (CVT) similar to those used by scooters, etc. In a radically new approach, Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission features advanced electronic control technologies to achieve smooth and precise acceleration, including a learning function that finds the most suitable start, gear change and running operations for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Some used to leverage "fuzzy logic" as learning when coupled with discrete logic. That practice has stopped.

Learning algorithms require above average processing power and some significant storage. Maybe the new 2020 AT has the hardware, especially with respects to its new 2020 price. :rolleyes: It doesn't "feel" like the pre-2020 models would have the same resources ( ... because feeling is soooo objective.)

But heck, I wouldn't know unless I tore down a pre-2020 and 2020 AT.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts