Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the AT come with a special "break-in" oil, or is the oil a normal oil like the Honda oil one gets from the dealer?

I would like to know because I want to take an 800 mile trip and my AT now has 270 miles - would like to change the oil before I leave...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does the AT come with a special "break-in" oil, or is the oil a normal oil like the Honda oil one gets from the dealer?

I would like to know because I want to take an 800 mile trip and my AT now has 270 miles - would like to change the oil before I leave...
Yes it does get rid of it before you go over the 1000km, the Honda synthetic oil can go straight in after that according to Honda.
They have a kit that includes Fully synthetic oil 4L the two oil plug replacement washers and an oil filter. Comes in a box thats cheaper than buying all separately, same kit used on a number of Honda bikes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hugh, save some money and get Mobile 1. I am a big believer in synthetic oils so I have been using Mobile 1 in all my bikes and cars for years. (even my lawnmower) I think any brand is probably good but I can find Mobile 1 almost anywhere. Walmart has it for around $26 for the 5 gallon size.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Personally I would not change the break in oil before the Honda Specified 1000kms is up. It is there for a purpose, and I especially would not put in full synthetic before the 1000kms is up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I would not change the break in oil before the Honda Specified 1000kms is up. It is there for a purpose, and I especially would not put in full synthetic before the 1000kms is up.
I would tend to agree with Griff.

I would be replacing the oil and filter with some more non synthetic oil and get the engine bedded in properly before I put semi synthetic oil in the engine. The rings should have bedded into the bore after a couple of hundred miles but there will be a lot of swarf etc in the oil.

I cahnged my oil at 200 miles and carried out a filter change.

I then had the dealer service at 600ish miles and got them to put in more traditional oil. I then went to semi synthetic at around 2000 miles after another filter change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hugh,
There is an article in Motorcyclist or Cycle World magazine that addresses this issue. Bottom line either oil is fine for break-in. Synthetic will NOT have any real effect in break-in on your engine. Synthetic will last longer and do a better job reducing friction which is a good thing but will not keep the rings and bearings from seating properly.

I would go ahead and change the oil. Most of the "stuff" from break-in will already have been suspended in your oil by now. After your trip change it again if you think it needs it.
You will never hurt your engine by changing the oil and filter too often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts