Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I did was pick the bike up and get it home. Prior to doing so I had the dealer install K60 tires but that was all. I have beefier footpegs on the way along with a taller windscreen, givi side cases and the Honda center stand which is backordered nationwide. I don't know if I'll go with a big, ugly top case or add some sort of rackable, stackable dry bags. If anyone has a recommendation for the latter let me know. I'll also add Oxford heated grips and an Eastern Beaver PC-8. I don't know where to mount a power adapter and don't want the nightmare of the Honda one that is limited to 8 amps so I still have to figure that out. That is okay, I am patient.

Only cell phone pics so far. Nothing like walking into the dealer and seeing a sold tag on a new bike that is MINE!

NC

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use a kappa garda top box around town for convenience (never fully loaded) and a Mosko Moto BC40L on trips. You can strap another dry bag inside the beaver tail, or also your leftovers from a restaurant (I didn't even spill anything).
For power, I ended up with an aftermarket 12V socket (15 amp) in the OEM spot up on the dash and I also installed a low profile powerlet socket on the side of the bike near the keyhole for the seat. These are obviously connected to my PC-8 along with heated grips.
Since you're waiting on an OEM center stand, I just want you to know the aftermarket ones are fine, too. I have the SW-Motech one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's worse than that, Honda outlet is only 2A, good for charging phones etc but not too much else. Still, you have an Eastern Beaver so you are well sorted for options.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a kappa garda top box around town for convenience (never fully loaded) and a Mosko Moto BC40L on trips. You can strap another dry bag inside the beaver tail, or also your leftovers from a restaurant (I didn't even spill anything).
For power, I ended up with an aftermarket 12V socket (15 amp) in the OEM spot up on the dash and I also installed a low profile powerlet socket on the side of the bike near the keyhole for the seat. These are obviously connected to my PC-8 along with heated grips.
Since you're waiting on an OEM center stand, I just want you to know the aftermarket ones are fine, too. I have the SW-Motech one.
The reason I am gunning for the Honda one is how easy it mounts. It simply slides over two sections of tubing and then a snap ring locks it into position. If the SW Motech one is the same I'll just pick one of those up. I don't want to have to mount extra plates or anything like that. I'll check online.

Did the hot wet sponge thing to get rid of the tank stickers. Soak a sponge in hot water and hold against stickers for five minutes. They peeled right off. Much less likely to use too much heat like with a heat gun. You'll need to re-soak the sponge every thirty seconds or so.

NC

·
Registered
166 Posts
The reason I am gunning for the Honda one is how easy it mounts. It simply slides over two sections of tubing and then a snap ring locks it into position. If the SW Motech one is the same I'll just pick one of those up. I don't want to have to mount extra plates or anything like that. I'll check online.

Did the hot wet sponge thing to get rid of the tank stickers. Soak a sponge in hot water and hold against stickers for five minutes. They peeled right off. Much less likely to use too much heat like with a heat gun. You'll need to re-soak the sponge every thirty seconds or so.

NC
It's been maybe six months since I installed my center stand, but I'm pretty sure it was the same procedure. It took less than five minutes to mount, and then I just struggled with the spring until I found a tool that gave me better leverage. You can look up the instructions online, I think one of the online retailers has it on their product page.

Funny story about the stickers: I used Goo gone to get rid of mine, and while I used only a little bit, I freaked out because it looked like I'd messed up the paint. I was beside myself because it was a brand new bike. I even contacted a custom painter about fixing the damage. Then, I went on a trip and accidentally spilled some gasoline on the tank. When I wiped it up, the "damage" disappeared. It was just leftover glue residue! I was a happy camper that day. Your way is much better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been maybe six months since I installed my center stand, but I'm pretty sure it was the same procedure. It took less than five minutes to mount, and then I just struggled with the spring until I found a tool that gave me better leverage. You can look up the instructions online, I think one of the online retailers has it on their product page.

Funny story about the stickers: I used Goo gone to get rid of mine, and while I used only a little bit, I freaked out because it looked like I'd messed up the paint. I was beside myself because it was a brand new bike. I even contacted a custom painter about fixing the damage. Then, I went on a trip and accidentally spilled some gasoline on the tank. When I wiped it up, the "damage" disappeared. It was just leftover glue residue! I was a happy camper that day. Your way is much better.
LOL about the paint paranoia. Next year when the bike is worn in I won't care but when new . . . maddening.

Went with the Motech center stand. Thanks for the suggestion.

NC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts