Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who have invested in expensive Madstad screens, it's almost a solution, but for me there was still some peak buffeting and I was fairly sure where it was coming from - you just have to hold your hand in front of you at various positions to feel where the turbulent air is coming from.
I had hoped that the new visor kit from Honda shown in this picture would have allowed me to revert to the standard screen:

But - No - you can, I hope, see the problem. There's a big gap between the top of the visors and the start of the screen. Honda have to do this because the knuckle guards would impact anything that is in that space when on full lock.
Now here's a pic of why the Madstad helps a lot - it's about 4 inches wider. (ignore the frost on the screen - it comes clear :smile2:)

The reason they can make it wider is that they bring it forwards by about 2 inches. But I think you can see that there is still a bit of a gap at the critical points.

....... so .... I thought I would try filling those gaps in temporarily with adhesive tape.
This first pic shows how i simply applied 3 strips across the all important gap:

and this second pic from the riding position shows better how the airflow at this point is cut off by the tape:

There is still a huge amount of air flowing up under the screen centre as I have the screen raked back quite a lot.
BUT blocking off these two side gaps has just about eliminated the buffeting (at any speed).
Now all I have to do is work out a way of making something that looks better than Gaffa tape.
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you do and you can sell it I will buy it. That's the exact spot causing issue with my 20" madstad.

I was thinking of 3D printing a plate that uses the wing mount holes, but my buddy's 3D printer is getting worked on.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry Mike, I assume you have covered this elsewhere, do you have a link to the visor kit or your discussion of it?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do and you can sell it I will buy it. That's the exact spot causing issue with my 20" madstad.

I was thinking of 3D printing a plate that uses the wing mount holes, but my buddy's 3D printer is getting worked on.

Ditto Tequilasqeela - if you make something that solves it I will buy yours :grin2:
If you look carefully at my pic of the Honda 'visors' you can probably see that I have fixed them with velcro dots as I didn't want to drill the bike panel if they didn;t work. It surprised me that the velcro dots held them in position without failing so if I get something else made I think I may use them again.
My sort of plan is to maybe cast something (plaster of paris, papier mache ?) over the gaffa tape and the edge of the screen then ask a sign maker if he can bend some clear acrylic to match. An alternative plan is to make something out of black neoprene but stiffen it up in the gap area with some thin plastic. This will not look as nice but it might be better than black gaffa tape. Of course anything I make (or that TS makes) will probably only fit our own bikes because we probably all have the screens set at different heights and angles.
Mike

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Mike, I assume you have covered this elsewhere, do you have a link to the visor kit or your discussion of it?
I don't think I have discussed it much on here, but I had high hopes. If Honda produced it, it surely meant they had done some tests and combined with the little black fairing wind deflectors that they have made available since day 1, I thought this must be the answer. So I was hugely disappointed when they made no difference at all for me with either the standard screen or the OEM touring screen.
But that's just for me - they may work for others and are probably shown as an Africa Twin Sport accessory as that bike comes pre drilled for them whereas the standard bike just has the insides of the panels marked where to drill.
And by the way - I have tried both OEM screens, 4 independent screens, a vario lip, the swegotech air deflector, Batzen screen risers, the OEM wind deflectors, and the OEM screen visors, and none of them worked for me EXCEPT the Madstad 20 inch screen which cured the problem 75% (but also needed Vlad's screen brace). ...... and there are plenty of threads on here discussing all those potential solutions that might work for other people.
.... so it would be nice to keep this thread about ideas to stop the turbulent flow through those side gaps?
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agreed. And I went through the "but the madstad is so ugly there must be something else" thinking with my Vstrom.

Lesson learned. Went straight to the madstad and wasn't disappointed, but if I can get that last little bit of buffeting fixed then I can wear earplugs without the constant drumming in my head.

That, or go to no windshield at all. Everything in between just sucks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. And I went through the "but the madstad is so ugly there must be something else" thinking with my Vstrom.

Lesson learned. Went straight to the madstad and wasn't disappointed, but if I can get that last little bit of buffeting fixed then I can wear earplugs without the constant drumming in my head.

That, or go to no windshield at all. Everything in between just sucks.

Yeah I know - the noscreen is wonderful but I have now got used to a bug-free visor in summer and a crap-free visor in winter :smile2:
Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cutter

.... so it would be nice to keep this thread about ideas to stop the turbulent flow through those side gaps?
Indeed. My thought would be to contact your local sign writer and ask if they (or you) can trace or measure the outline of the visor thingy, create a representation, then cut a blank piece of thick vinyl (white?) using their computer-driven cutter.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed. My thought would be to contact your local sign writer and ask if they (or you) can trace or measure the outline of the visor thingy, create a representation, then cut a blank piece of thick vinyl (white?) using their computer-driven cutter.
Yeah I thought of something along those lines and white 2mm vynyl might look OK athough I think 3mm clear perspex or acrylic would be best. If that worked what we could do is leave the bottom edge free floating - ie unattached to the bikes fairings - and just use two nuts and bolts through the appropriate part of the Madstad screen. That would mean that it wouldn't matter what angle or height you had the Madstad, the new bits would still cover most of the gap.
I think I need to experiment with removing some of the black gaffa tape because at the moment it forms a 3-D shape as it wraps a little way around the front/bottom of the screen. If it works without that wrap then the perpsex need only be a simple flat plate with just one bend so it can be screwed to the Madstad.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take your mirrors off and go for a spin and see what happens. I did. Look at the shape of the back of the mirror. My thought is the mirror is splitting the air from the shield and forcing it back to the rider. I swapped my mirrors and it changed the air flow. Before and after picts. Don.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wind coming around the side...

Like Mike5100, I too have tried several windshields and brackets before purchasing the Madstad. Madstad is the only thing that seems to 'mostly' work. I'm also still thinking that 'gap' along the lower side of the shield needs blocking. I wonder if we could contact Madstad and see if they would build a custom shield for us that blocks this area, or is maybe is just about 2 inches wider on each side of the shield. On the Madstad website, the shields *alone* are surely less expensive than the entire kit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Like Mike5100, I too have tried several windshields and brackets before purchasing the Madstad. Madstad is the only thing that seems to 'mostly' work. I'm also still thinking that 'gap' along the lower side of the shield needs blocking. I wonder if we could contact Madstad and see if they would build a custom shield for us that blocks this area, or is maybe is just about 2 inches wider on each side of the shield. On the Madstad website, the shields *alone* are surely less expensive than the entire kit.
I think this is actually worth asking.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've mentioned this in several other 'buffeting' issues thread. The National Cycle VStream windscreens have a small wing that deflect air out along the bottom and away from the fairing and out away from the handguards. That in combination with the Batzen screen riser has removed all buffeting.
I used the sport touring version (N20058) but there is an even taller version on their site. I think the key is the shape and the flares at the bottom of the windscreen.
It might save you from having to fabricate your own solutions and likely has the same effect on turbulence.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used the sport touring version (N20058) but there is an even taller version on their site. I think the key is the shape and the flares at the bottom of the windscreen.
I have the N20059 and haven't noticed any buffeting at any speed. I ride in summer with the visor on my helmet up, trying to get some air when it is hot - no problem at over 100kph. With no problems with buffeting I see no reason to worry about air dams over the fork tubes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, I can leave my visor open up to highway speeds with minimal noise and no buffeting.

I have the N20059 and haven't noticed any buffeting at any speed. I ride in summer with the visor on my helmet up, trying to get some air when it is hot - no problem at over 100kph. With no problems with buffeting I see no reason to worry about air dams over the fork tubes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've mentioned this in several other 'buffeting' issues thread. The National Cycle VStream windscreens have a small wing that deflect air out along the bottom and away from the fairing and out away from the handguards. That in combination with the Batzen screen riser has removed all buffeting.
It might save you from having to fabricate your own solutions and likely has the same effect on turbulence.

I bought the sport and the touring (their tallest). I'm 6'1", on rally seat, none of them really worked great for me. They would probably work great for shorter riders. I have the Batzen bracket, and even with that I still get turbulance at the top of my helmet on the highway. The Touring windscreen was annoying cause it was right in my eyeseight.

https://youtu.be/2DGawHjnnIg
This one seems better than the Batzen (though much more expensive), easier to adjust, and you can also pivot the top of the screen, which in my case would probably solve most of the turbulance...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm 6'3" and ride my ATAS with a dirt bike helmet with a visor, but no face shield or goggles. I don't notice buffeting. On My VStrom my head was blown around like crazy until I put on a taller screen and a madstad. My FZ-09 was noisy as all get out until I put an MRA screen on it. It all depends on where there is a concentrated or disturbed air stream in relation to your head.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts