Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day
I thought I'd share an early look the new Bumot's new skid plate that Assen has just released.

We've got a fair bit of choice now, Bumot, Outback Motortek and BB ones are all my favourite for how I use my bike.

I like the low weight from the 4mm alloy, it looks and feels like it will take a big thump and scrape n slide over rocks and logs easily. The mounting points are tough and while it does utilise the OEM front mounting points, the hardware and pickup points along the base plate appear to do a lot of the work.

I also like how narrow it is whilst still protecting the engine cases, I do a bit of rocky fire trails so I am pretty comfortable now that I won't rip my engine apart.

I'm confident they'll work with a range of crash bars, and I've just ordered some outback motortek ones. if anyone wants and detailed measurements to check clearance just ask.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for posting. That is a good unit. I like the protection for the Alternator cover on the left, which is the most vulnerable part of this motor.

The B&B item from Australia is equally good in that regard and a very robust item. However, my problem with both would be the close proximity of the front fender under full fork compression. Not a problem for those with the standard fender but I have a Fenda Extenda on mine and there would be a question mark over that proximity given that both protrude a little too far in front of the headers. The cutaway on both takes care of the standard fender.

·
Registered
86 Posts
G'day
I thought I'd share an early look the new Bumot's new skid plate that Assen has just released.

We've got a fair bit of choice now, Bumot, Outback Motortek and BB ones are all my favourite for how I use my bike.

I like the low weight from the 4mm alloy, it looks and feels like it will take a big thump and scrape n slide over rocks and logs easily. The mounting points are tough and while it does utilise the OEM front mounting points, the hardware and pickup points along the base plate appear to do a lot of the work.

I also like how narrow it is whilst still protecting the engine cases, I do a bit of rocky fire trails so I am pretty comfortable now that I won't rip my engine apart.

I'm confident they'll work with a range of crash bars, and I've just ordered some outback motortek ones. if anyone wants and detailed measurements to check clearance just ask.

Steve
Are these the production model or are they still in development? They look nice but no rubber frame mounts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is by far the best looking bash plate I've seen. Also reduces the need for lower crash bars. Will any of the upper crash bars work or with this in terms of mounting?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
G'day

Steve

Steve,

Could I bother you to take pics of how the bash plate sits in relation to your feet? Does this interfere with the controls in any way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
G'day

Steve

Hi Steve nice looking plate. Do you by any chance know the weight? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering this skid plate. I like the idea that lower bars aren't necessary. Just wondering about the strength of those side "wings" since that is the first area to hit the ground in a crash/tip-over. That's a lot of un-reinforced metal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am considering this skid plate. I like the idea that lower bars aren't necessary. Just wondering about the strength of those side "wings" since that is the first area to hit the ground in a crash/tip-over. That's a lot of un-reinforced metal.
It's incredibly sturdy. I have no doubt the wings would hold up in a crash/tip

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts