Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual clutch 2017 AT and tried to bump start it yesterday as an experiment. Had the key on and tried it in 2nd gear on downhill pavement. No joy.

Is it possible to bump start this bike? If yes, is there a trick to it? I can do this with my other bikes easily.

Note: I searched for this topic and only found a reference that indicated the DCT model could not be bump started.

Thank you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Your right bump start is hard I’ve tried & tried finally gave up. So started reading the owners manual, guess what no more hard work,reading the manual solves a lot of head ache. The manual states on the handle bar , right side is a button if you push it while in neutral the motor will start ???? gave it a try WOW it started AMAZING

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dakota - I am able to bump start my other fuel-injected bikes...

BTW, am not saying the AT manual transmission version can't be bump started - am just saying I can't figure out how to do it successfully.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Because I have the DCT version I don't even get a choice of trying to bump start. My solution is to remove the tools from my tool box (the thing beside the battery) and wire up remote battery terminals, then I can easily jump start the bike from my small Li-Ion jump starter. I figure that putting some effort in to wire up a solution that is super easy will guarantee that I'll never need to use that solution!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dakota - I am able to bump start my other fuel-injected bikes...

BTW, am not saying the AT manual transmission version can't be bump started - am just saying I can't figure out how to do it successfully.
Well now I know! :) I wasn't sure if bikes could or not, because of the ECU needing power. I wonder if you can bump start fuel injected cars then too? Time to hit up the Ol' Google! lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
It should bump start if there's any power in the battery at all, but it's a 1000cc engine after all. You need a long hill or a couple of strong pushers. Might actually have to put it in third to reduce the mechanical advantage.

On a related note, if the DCT engine dies while moving, do the clutches disengage?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The "A" model will definately bump start if there is enough voltage for the ECM/PGM-FI system. I have an A model and have tried it. As was said in another post, you will need to put it in 3rd gear or higher to get the beast to turn over. If the battery is completly dead you are out of luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a dct model so not sure if the manual comes with a slipper clutch, but if so, it won't bump start or at least not easily.
I know because I used to bump start my supersport bike all the time until I installed an after-market slipper clutch.
The torque that would need to be transfered from the turning rear wheel to turn the engine over will simply make the slipper clutch slip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The "A" model will definately bump start if there is enough voltage for the ECM/PGM-FI system. I have an A model and have tried it. As was said in another post, you will need to put it in 3rd gear or higher to get the beast to turn over. If the battery is completly dead you are out of luck.
Can you give us instructions on how to do it step by step please?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts

The manual AT bump starts like any other manual gearbox motorcycle with a slipper clutch. Being that the clutch is meant to slip with the shock of a harsh downshift, it will slip if one is coasting in gear with a dead engine and the clutch is engaged. To overcome this and get the engine to turn over, put the bike in at least 3rd or 4th gear. This puts less torque on the clutch and will get the engine spinning. Again, the actual running part depends on the power left in the battery. The PGM-FI system needs a minumum voltage to operate. If the battery is completely dead, it may be possible to tow the bike to a high enough speed to get the alternator to bring the voltage up but I have never tried it. Someone can experiment and lets us all know the outcome.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a dct model so not sure if the manual comes with a slipper clutch, but if so, it won't bump start or at least not easily.
I know because I used to bump start my supersport bike all the time until I installed an after-market slipper clutch.
The torque that would need to be transfered from the turning rear wheel to turn the engine over will simply make the slipper clutch slip.
This is an excellent point! I am pretty sure we do have slipper clutchs

·
Registered
62 Posts

The manual AT bump starts like any other manual gearbox motorcycle with a slipper clutch. Being that the clutch is meant to slip with the shock of a harsh downshift, it will slip if one is coasting in gear with a dead engine and the clutch is engaged. To overcome this and get the engine to turn over, put the bike in at least 3rd or 4th gear. This puts less torque on the clutch and will get the engine spinning. Again, the actual running part depends on the power left in the battery. The PGM-FI system needs a minumum voltage to operate. If the battery is completely dead, it may be possible to tow the bike to a high enough speed to get the alternator to bring the voltage up but I have never tried it. Someone can experiment and lets us all know the outcome.
It will be very difficult to push a 500+ lb bike to a speed conducive to turning over and firing the engine in 3rd or 4th gear.
Two ways I can think of for accomplishing something like that:
1) using a longish tow rope to tow the bike behind a car or large bike.
2) being on top of a fairly steep, long and fairly straight down hill. It needs to be steep so the bike will continue to pick up speed while rolling in say 4th gear. Otherwise, one must start rolling in neutral to minimize the drag, and we all know how hard it can be to shift a bike from neutral to 2nd, on the way to 4th, when it's rolling at a fast pace.
IMHO, if you ride a bike with an automatic transmission or slipper clutch, always carry jumper cables.
Mine resides inside that otherwise useless toolbox in front of the battery.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your right bump start is hard I’ve tried & tried finally gave up. So started reading the owners manual, guess what no more hard work,reading the manual solves a lot of head ache. The manual states on the handle bar , right side is a button if you push it while in neutral the motor will start �������� gave it a try WOW it started AMAZING
Hahahaha. You crack me up!

3rd gear?!!!:surprise: So, were you successful in bump starting it in 3rd after not having any luck in 2nd? Isn't the gear ratio too tall to start in 3rd? I would think 2nd, not 3rd, would be easier.

Did a quick youtube search and these guys managed to bump start in 4/5th gear but using their method they could have bump started in any gear.

https://youtu.be/JzQtz2jESfA

·
Registered
212 Posts
It will be very difficult to push a 500+ lb bike to a speed conducive to turning over and firing the engine in 3rd or 4th gear.
Two ways I can think of for accomplishing something like that:
1) using a longish tow rope to tow the bike behind a car or large bike.
2) being on top of a fairly steep, long and fairly straight down hill. It needs to be steep so the bike will continue to pick up speed while rolling in say 4th gear. Otherwise, one must start rolling in neutral to minimize the drag, and we all know how hard it can be to shift a bike from neutral to 2nd, on the way to 4th, when it's rolling at a fast pace.
INMHO, if you ride a bike with an automatic transmission or slipper clutch, always carry jumper cables.
Mine resides inside that otherwise useless toolbox in front of the battery.
I live in california where there are many long steep hills, so testing a fourth gear bump start was easy. This whole conversation is academic fun because what are the chances of battery dying at the top of a large hill? Anyway, I agree with you. Do not forget to turn the key off, carry jumper cables or keep your AAA membership active.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would suggest that even with a manual bike you should invest in a jump starter, mine is smaller than my smart phone and has successfully started a 1000 Suzuki, 900 Cagiva and 1200 BMW without recharging in-between and with 4/4 lights still showing. The Cagiva was locking the rear wheel on the grass as a motorcycle rally when I asked if they wanted to try my jump starter, they said yes and started removing the battery cover while I went and grabbed the jump starter, I connected it, pressed the boost button and the Cagiva owner hit the starter - the bike started immediately.

I keep my little jump starter in my tank bag. I give it a top-up charge before trips, but I can charge it while riding too. I carried this jump starter with my ST1300 and DR650, but it is even more valuable with my DCT AT. I've used it to jump start my DR650 but never needed to jump my ST1300. It feels pretty good to be able to help out fellow motorcyclists when their batteries are dead, well worth having the jump starter on hand!

Forget bump starting your bikes guys, just get yourself a handy little jump starter!

·
Registered
509 Posts
You traditionally use second to bumpstart, but with a big engine, there's too much multiplication to turn it over so the tire just slides. Using third will help, but you need more speed than usual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the battery is less than 11 volts and on some vehicles 11.8 volts, the FI will not initiate. Don't know the AT, mine is a DCT so first thing I did was install a power lead from the battery for charging and jumping etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I appreciate that. Thank you much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts